DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while guys, but

My son was the 3rd in a 3 car pile up this AM on the way to school. Older Woman in Lexus slammed on brakes (for an unknown reason right now). 16 year old girl in VW slammed into her with basically no brake light warning for my son. He piled into them at about 30 MPH. He is ok thank God, but the M is pretty badly hurt. It crumpled as designed and absorbed most of the energy of the accident.

Liability only so the fix is on my dime. Well that is if I decide to do it. We may just move on to another vehicle and part it out. I will tear into the M Thursday and decide.

Doesn't look too bad from this angle, but the M is a good 12-15 shorter than OEM....lol

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
It still looks pretty good. :D Check the area for vultures, they should be circling about now... :spiders:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
glad your son is ok,,,thats first and foremost,,

if the air bags didnt go off,, from the looks of it,, front clip and its good to go,,,

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
At least everyone is OK. I had a near miss with my car getting smooshed while I was at the educational establishment.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the concern guys. He is a little torn up emotionally about this since he just acquired the "car bug"

I wont know till Thursday when I get a chance

Looks just like my brothers when he had his accident last winter. If the frame rails are ok, which I bet they are, you can likely just stick another front clip on it and keep driving it.

link http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=218576
pretty close, but I think our damage might be a little more severe since the impact bar took a big hit

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
See the 7th pic in my thread. The impact bar lookEd like a wish-bone.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Glad to hear the kid was not hurt. I have a 15 -11/12 teenager as well. This might help support my argument that anything smaller might not be as safe.

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
Damn Craig - the car is wounded but the kid is OK. Sheet metal can be repaired or replace.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,742 Posts
Sorry to hear Craig, glad everyone is ok.

Looks like a light front clip. Impact bar and all....but its all bolt in, as long as the frame posts arent crushed.

If you dont decide to fix her maybe someone here would be interested in a fixxer upper or a 3.5 swap into a needy 2.7 car.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Dan

Well I spent about 5 hours taking things apart and "persuading" things to go back to their original shape/position.

Good news is I'm pretty sure I can repair it all myself...well with the help of Tyler and some friends.

The bad news is there is a LONG list of parts needed. About $800-1500 depending on whether new or used parts can be located.

Here are some pics after the fun today. The only area of real concern for me are the headlight bracket areas.

Hood
Bumper Cover
Bumper Reinforcement
Bumper Energy Absorber
Radiator
Radiator Hoses
Fans
A/C condenser
Upper Radiator Support
Upper Grille
Lower Grille
Headlights
Front Wire Harness (Headlights, fans..etc)
Power Steering Pump Pulley
A/C Lines
Oil Cooler Lines

And a few more to be listed.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,742 Posts
Nice, definitely an easy front clip....aside from the cost....everything that matters looks straight. Good thing all that it broke on the engine was the p/s pulley, its about $30 at the dealer....That is a relatively common M color, hopefully you can find a matching one in the yard.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts