DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I notice that alot of people are doing the K&K air filter modification, but what else is there?

I mean what else can we do to our treps to improve performance?

I want to put in new spark plugs and wires... but from what I've read that doesn't improve horsies, unless the wires on there already are restricting in some way...
also how much should i spend on sparkplugs and wires? any suggestions on this?

I hope this spawns some good responses/ strikes up some good conversation ;)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Free flowing exhaust is another good idea, The Msd DIS4 system (Distributorless ignition system)runs about $330 in Summit, don't know about performance gain. Someone who has it let us know, also how much of a pain it is to install. Jacobs is supposed to have a similar system shortly. A new computer chip. Other than that in the way of power performance I'm about out of ideas. On the wires dealer wires are about 80. Autolites are 70-75. Jacobs 115. Taylors I think were about 60-65. Anyone have any thoughts about who has decent wires and whose aren't. Plugs are available about anywhere.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well... this is my daily driver and also i live in california, so im not to sure that the MSD dis4 system is such a good idea. heh.
speaking of that, is anyone here from california? Anyone know what we californians can do with our exaust?

also... anyone know where the best place to shop for K&N filters is? what do you need to do a simple air box replacement vs. the dual filter ram air modification that ive heard thrown around?

·
Registered
587 Posts
The airbox filter replacement will do a little, but not much. Throw an open air cone filter on each of the throttle bodies of the 3.5 and then you will get some serious power out of it....and if you wanna create a ram air system by routing ducts up from the fog lites into the throttle bodies, then you will have some sweet HP....I hope to do this soon, but I am still planning it.....let me know if you have any questions...

·
Registered
973 Posts
If you place cone filters on the TB's watch out for too much heat from the engine. The stock filter box is in as cool a place as the engineers could find. If you are getting hot air into those cone filters you may be not getting as much power as you think you should or could.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I put in some Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs and noticed a (little) difference.. but at least it was noticable. make sure they're +4's though.. they're the ones with four conductors at the tip instead of one. supposedly better gas milage too

·
Registered
263 Posts
The +4 platinum tipped Bosch plugs do NOT contribute to better gas mileage. Anyone who tells you any different is a salesman. Also, the ONLY benefit of having the 4 tips instead of one is for cold (hard) starts. That's it, ladies and gentlemen. You see, a car still only sparks ONCE, not 4 times. No real benefit to having the extra.

wolf out.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i heard putting platinum (not just bosch) plugs in a late-model domestic engine was not a good idea. it doesn't hurt the engine but the plugs wear out way too fast. not sure though cuz i haven't tried them.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've used platinum Bosch plugs in my car for 92,000 miles. I've NEVER had a problem with them, and change them every 30,000 miles (even when it really isn't necessary... I like to have 'fresh' plugs in there).

Platinum plugs actually stay cleaner than copper ones. Performance wise? Probably no REAL difference. Really.

wolf out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well Whats up everybody? this is my first time posting anything but i like reading all the great stuff you people posted but anyways i have a 99 (2.7)intrepid with little modification such as green enterior lights,new radio, oh and the flow master (80 series) dual tips pretty nice people say when they hear it they are expecting something raced out but when they see my car the smile cause the sound definitly doesn't match the car but newayz thats my little story and im from southern california in reply to someones earlier post.

:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts