DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anyone know what socket size I need to use to remove that big primary tensioner cap is on the 98-99 2.7L engine (the one at the front of the side of the right hand head)?

I've tried to get it off with a big set of water pump pliers and its just too tight so I'm thinking I need to go at it with a 1/2 breaker bar but I don't have anything to measure its size.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
16,514 Posts
1-1/4” or 32mm. 1-1/4” might be slightly tight, but maybe not (it’s 0.010” smaller than 32mm).

The exhaust manifold will probably be just enough in the way to prevent a socket from fitting onto the hex (possibly a shorty or cut off socket would do it). You may have to remove the fan assembly and come in from the front with an open- or box-end. 12” crescent would work if jaws aren’t too fat - handle may or may not be too long to go in from front without removing fans.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1-1/4” or 32mm. 1-1/4” might be slightly tight, but maybe not (it’s 0.010” smaller than 32mm).

The exhaust manifold will probably be just enough in the way to prevent a socket from fitting onto the hex (possibly a shorty or cut off socket would do it). You may have to remove the fan assembly and come in from the front with an open- or box-end. 12” crescent would work if jaws aren’t too fat - handle may or may not be too long to go in from front without removing fans.
oh joy!

:eek:mg:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't tell you how thrilled I am that whoever put it in there before got it so damned tight!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it is Loctite?
yeah, maybe. It's kind of crazy. I wouldn't think it would call for that. Isn't it pipe thread or something where the threads are tapered such that the tighter you make it the more they interfere? If that's the case it shouldn't back out on its own. Seems I've pulled several out of junk yards while checking out an engine and never had one stuck this bad.

·
Premium Member
16,514 Posts
I don’t recall it feeling tapered - I remember it as turning freely until the tensioner head seated against the cylinder head. With how far it extends into the head being more or less critical, it makes sense that it would not be a tapered thread which would add additional tolerance variation in how far it goes into the head. It’s important that the o-ring is in good condition to seal properly. Make sure to lube the o-ring before installing the tensioner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts