DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week i am off school, so i decided to do some work on my car. i had to change my valve cover gaskets cuz they were leaking, so when i had everything apart, i painted the plenum gloss black. it looks real nice. I also went to the junkyard and got the gauge cluster from a vision and put that in. i decided i liked the black gauges so much i painted all the interior trim black too. it looks real clean and makes a big impact on the way the interior looks. now i am thinking of changing my whole interior to a custom black. But that is for later. I will try to get some pics later. But a quick question. What type of paint should i use on the main part of the dash? I like the way that apcsox's looks like, but i dont want it that shiny, as that amount of sun glare would make me go blind in a matter of minutes, so what is good? Thanks, David

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well its dark outside so i cant get pics right now. you'll have to wait for tomorrow!! jk thanks for the reply, David

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
don't worry about the double post, i took care of it for ya. also :worthless :gross_11:

·
Registered
455 Posts
dont use paint. go to an auto upholstery shop, and ask for vynil dye. tell them what your doing, and they'll ahve better advice than anyone that doent do upholstery. I used to work for a detail and upholstery shop when i was in highschool, i washed cars for a while then got to start removing seats and what not, the biggest mistake people make with a dash is using paint, it looks great for a while, but the results dont last. using the vynil dye will last for as long as the dash does.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
griffinzein said:
dont use paint. go to an auto upholstery shop, and ask for vynil dye. tell them what your doing, and they'll ahve better advice than anyone that doent do upholstery. I used to work for a detail and upholstery shop when i was in highschool, i washed cars for a while then got to start removing seats and what not, the biggest mistake people make with a dash is using paint, it looks great for a while, but the results dont last. using the vynil dye will last for as long as the dash does.
What kind of chemicals do they use in this dye ?????

·
Registered
455 Posts
im not sure, but i know its nothing like paint. it doesnt smell like paint it doesnt act like paint in anyway. you cant use primer with it because it wont dry over primer. unlike paint, where you can tell that a dash has been painted, no matter how well it was painted, with the dye, you cant tell it was ever dyed, it just looks like its always been whatever color you dyed it. it doesnt fill in any of the dashes texture like paint tends to do. and where paint tends to flake off of soft parts, the dye wont. its kind of expensive, but well worth the money you spend on it. the dye we used at pucketts upholstery and detail in magee, it was something like 10 bucks a can, but they were big cans.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Think you could find out what brand and stuff that dye is? I have been wanting to do all my vynal in black and since I just got a job I can acctually do it now!

Now I just need to order up my black carpet, I can do the rest.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Would you mind telling me how much was all involved in changing the valve cover gaskets, I have been debated if I will nee dto bring it to the dealer and have then do it. I am not sure what all needs to be removed. Thanks in advance. Look forward to seeing the pictures of your interior.

vinnie1069 said:
This week i am off school, so i decided to do some work on my car. i had to change my valve cover gaskets cuz they were leaking, so when i had everything apart, i painted the plenum gloss black. it looks real nice. I also went to the junkyard and got the gauge cluster from a vision and put that in. i decided i liked the black gauges so much i painted all the interior trim black too. it looks real clean and makes a big impact on the way the interior looks. now i am thinking of changing my whole interior to a custom black. But that is for later. I will try to get some pics later. But a quick question. What type of paint should i use on the main part of the dash? I like the way that apcsox's looks like, but i dont want it that shiny, as that amount of sun glare would make me go blind in a matter of minutes, so what is good? Thanks, David

·
Registered
106 Posts
Kensher said:
Would you mind telling me how much was all involved in changing the valve cover gaskets, I have been debated if I will nee dto bring it to the dealer and have then do it. I am not sure what all needs to be removed. Thanks in advance. Look forward to seeing the pictures of your interior.
http://www.autozone.com and look up their repair manuals. :banana:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea the gaskets arepretty easy. all you do is remove the plenum, pop off the wire harnesses over the bolts, unbolt the a/c comp. mount and swing it out of the way, and take off the valve covors. Thanks, David

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
which paint are you referring to about my dash? originally I used vinyl paint called SEM when I had it red, but since I've been redoing the dash, I just used the old paint basically as a primer, sprayed regular duplicolor filler/primer on and some duplcolor gloss black, nothing too fancy.... the sun glare isn't as bad as the pictures made it look, but I figure that possibly going with a flat black would reduce the glare *shrugs*

1 - 15 of 15 Posts