DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a 1998 Intrepid SE(95,000mi)
-whats the best launch rpm for fuel economy in city driving(at lights and stuff)
-what to do to try to prevent "the sludge"
-how do i set the clock inside the car
-what does the snow button stand for next to rear defog
-what does the L stand for in the tranmission setting
-whats the big gap thing in the dash under the cd player
-where is the casette player it says they should be standard
-how do i know if its 2 wheel or 4 wheel antilock brakes

Im a car nut and i just gotta know everything

Oh and by the way I'm sucha noob

·
Registered
982 Posts
1998basic said:
Got a 1998 Intrepid SE(95,000mi)
-whats the best launch rpm for fuel economy in city driving(at lights and stuff) Launch rpm and fuel economy dont really go together in the same sentence!!
-what to do to try to prevent "the sludge" Just Change and check oil often or switch to synthetic oil?
-how do i set the clock inside the car Isn't there a little H and M button next to the display for hours and miniutes just push them with a pencil tip
-what does the snow button stand for next to rear defog Air conditioning
-what does the L stand for in the tranmission setting Low range or lousey gas mileage!
-whats the big gap thing in the dash under the cd player Place to put yuor cd's or other stuff
-where is the casette player it says they should be standard probably replaced by cd player mentioned above or got stolen
-how do i know if its 2 wheel or 4 wheel antilock brakes I think 98 is either 4wheel or no wheel antilock but I could be wrong. Stomp on the pedal and check it out :wow:
Im a car nut and i just gotta know everything

Oh and by the way I'm sucha noob
Search button at top of page works pretty good to find answers too
Where is that owners manual when I need it!!! :smilie_pc
And welcome to the site :jester:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ty dude
The 3 in tranmission i know is for more engine power when stuck and stuff
and the casette player I guess, got stolen since it says its standard, and cd player optional. When pulling to higher speeds I never usualy take it over 2000revs. Also when I change oil il use synthetic next time and mobil 1 5 micron filter. Is it bad if right now its running on "regular" Penzoil.

·
Registered
982 Posts
1998basic said:
ty dude
The 3 in tranmission i know is for more engine power when stuck and stuff
and the casette player I guess, got stolen since it says its standard, and cd player optional. When pulling to higher speeds I never usualy take it over 2000revs. Also when I change oil il use synthetic next time and mobil 1 5 micron filter. Is it bad if right now its running on "regular" Penzoil.
Mines been running with "regular" dino oil for over 160,000 miles now and will keep on using it.
Seems like lots of owners here do use and swear by synthetic Mobil 1 though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Oh well then your lucky. Will it make a difference that I live in a cold climate (6months of winter and 0 fahreheight very common)and hummid(1 of every 3/4 days precipitation)

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
- The clock: Look for two small (like pin-head) sized buttons labeled "M" and "H"

- The snowflake: A/C

- "L": LOW gear, I thought all tranny's had that?

- The big "gap" below the head unit is where a multi-disc player goes

- (not 100% on this one but) the cassette is standard - I think the first upgrade takes out the cassette and adds CD, next upgrade is both, next up from there is multi-disc Infinity but there might be one between the last two mentioned. Again, not 100% sure of all the stock stereo's

- I believe it's 4-wheel ABS, never heard of two-wheel ABS

Welcome to the site ...!

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Yeah, there's either no ABS or ABS on all 4. Over the years, the only vehicle I ever knew of with 2 wheel abs, was the Chevy C1500 had only rear abs on drum brakes. To find out if you've got'em, turn on the key and when all the indicator lights come on during self-check, if the ABS doesn't light, then its safe to say you don't have them. The other alternative is slam on the brakes. As far as the sludge issue, synthetic is one solution many believe to help with that. Another is, of course a no-brainer, changing the oil regularly and religiously. This is a given with any engine, whether prone to sludge or not. Personally, up until this past oil change about 700 miles ago, mine's been on only dino oil. This past oil change the store didn't have the brand of dino oil I usually buy so I tried a synthetic instead.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some Ford trucks had only 2 wheel ABS in the back in late eightys. As for the cassette player in was mainn for the base model SE.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Il admit the lamest questions were

-what does the snow button stand for next to rear defog Air conditioning
-whats the big gap thing in the dash under the cd player

Ty for all the comments guys.

Owned a 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity 2.8 Eurosport, and 1993 Ford Taurus GL 3.8 respectavely before and no L anywhere in transmission.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
1998basic said:
Owned a 1989 Chevrolet Celebrity 2.8 Eurosport, and 1993 Ford Taurus GL 3.8 respectavely before and no L anywhere in transmission.
I think I speak for everyone here when I say: Ewwww

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Not suprised by a few other 2 wheel abs made. but nowadays, its very much obsolete.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Avenger said:
I think I speak for everyone here when I say: Ewwww
Lol I agree with the Taurus but the Celebrity was great, the handling was good and performance wise both better than this. Thats what sucks about the Intrepid u get the R/T but u still get smoked by a Duratec not to mention SHO Taurus or iven and Oldmobile Intrigue a granny car. But the interior, styling, handling and suspension makes up for more than enough.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
1998basic said:
Tahts what sucks about the Intrepid u get the R/T but u still get smoked by a Duratec not to mention SHO Taurus or iven and Oldmobile Intrigue a granny car.
You must be on crack??? My dad and grandma both own 3.5L Intrigue's.....they're not even a challenge. SHO? More like SH slOw ;) I haven't had an opportunity to race an SHO yet. :(

Intrigue's got us beat on fuel economy however :p

Please don't talk about stuff when you have no clue what you're actually talking about. You should ask more stupid questions before you start to jump to conclusions about what you think is true.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Avenger said:
You must be on crack??? My dad and grandma both own 3.5L Intrigue's.....they're not even a challenge. SHO? More like SH slOw ;) I haven't had an opportunity to race an SHO yet. :(

Intrigue's got us beat on fuel economy however :p

Please don't talk about stuff when you have no clue what you're actually talking about.

Ok I'm sorry that im on crack. Sho manual can do 0-60 6.5sec and auto can do 7.5 and about 15 sec for the 402 meters u dig?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Oh, so now we want to compare a manual to an auto? Really? You see, if I have to go up against a manual car, I get my winter beater out......14 second passes ya dig?

Where IS your SHO anyways? Oh, what's that? Never owned one? Really? Shut up!

Get lost. This is officially the dumbest thread I have ever read on DI.net. I'm not gonna continue to read a thread where someone doesn't know what the hell the storage hole or snowflake is for?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
All autos u cracker

1998 Intrigue (has the 3.8 down 20 hp,same weight through all 98-02)
0-60..7.7
1/4....15.8

1999 3.5 Intrigue(quite hard to believe from msn.com)
0-60 7.0
1/4...15.4

1999 SHO(3.4 V8)
0-60.....7.2
1/4.......15.4

Oh and just in case u complain about the V8
1995 Ford Taurus SHO 7.7 15.8

2000 Impala ( the dam LS, 200hp, I dno what the 180 can do)
0-60...7.7
1/4....15.9

all stock

2000 R/T
0-60 ....7.8
1/4 .....16.0

Not to mention the Grand Prix(not SE), Grand Am(GT only)or Bonneville. The Intrepid is a great car, but at drag racing it horibly sucks, and I dont know how not iven 250hp and 250tq can get it noticeably moving and I really don't care I got the SE (0-60 9.4 and 17.1 in 1/4).

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Avenger's just having a bad day. You should go back and look at some of the stuff he posted 3-4 years ago! ;)

But don't take all those mag times as gospel. A '95 Impala SS only beat me by 0.1s and I forgot to turn off the Trac Control ... :doh:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats true it all depends on the driver. And I'm sure Intrepids handles better than most american cars out there.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts