DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it finally happened. I was travelling through a 4 way stop when a guy heading through after me clipped my back end. Not much damage, but enough to rip the bumper cover off and crack the wheel well. The damage is estimated at 1400 dollars, but I have a deductible to pay. ($500) Soooo, I'm probably going to be selling some stuff on the buy/sell/trade section to help cover the deductible. I have some pics of the car, but I have yet to upload them. Just picture your nice, beautiful shiny car, sans bumper. Looks like crap.

*By the way, thanks to 01IntrepidSE on the correct spelling of "deductible". I hate not spelling things right.

**What the heck was I thinking? It was 01IntrepidSE, not Startrep61 that correctly spelled it. Sheesh. I must be more stressed than I think.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize that it was not my fault, but I didn't have broadened collision coverage, so apparently I do have to pay a deductible. (Believe me, I contested this fiercely. The accident happened a couple of weeks ago, actually, and I'm just now posting this because I've been so busy with it.)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Isn't Michigan a no fault state? You pay your own insurance whether it is your fault or not? Or some crap like that...I do know they have different insurance laws than most states.

·
Registered
181 Posts
ChicagoTRS said:
Isn't Michigan a no fault state? You pay your own insurance whether it is your fault or not? Or some crap like that...I do know they have different insurance laws than most states.
We have no fault insurance here in Saskatchewan also. And the government also runs the insurance company!

This province is a good place to have come FROM! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Yeah, Michigan is a no fault state because I got into an accident last year with my old car. It was wicked snowing out... but anyway, I was frickin scared because i just about totalled the other car. Police came along and asked for insurance, the other car was parked with no one in it, so they just said alright. My car wasnt too bad so I never had to report my damage to my insurance company. The police calmly explained that in Michigan, there is a no fault accident claim. Whew, I almost crapped my pants twice that day. But yes, Michigan is no fault.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Sue the motherfucker that hit you in small claims court! No-fault or not, a rear-ender should be completely his responsibility! There is no way that an accident that was 1000% some other idiot's fault should cost you money! His insurance should also be paying for a rental while your car gets fixed! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trust me, I am filing for what is known as a mini tort. (At least that is how it's pronounced. I'm not sure of the spelling). Basically, I'm suing him for the deductible. More accurately, his insurance company. But I still have to pay the initial deductible until my case is heard. So, either way, I have to pay the $500. At least for now.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
2001RT said:
Sue the motherfucker that hit you in small claims court! No-fault or not, a rear-ender should be completely his responsibility! There is no way that an accident that was 1000% some other idiot's fault should cost you money! His insurance should also be paying for a rental while your car gets fixed! :mad: :mad: :mad:
That is the entire point in Michigan and no-fault insurance...it does not matter who is at fault you are still paying your own deductible and your own insurance covers your damage. A rental car would have to be provided by your insurance. Reading the laws it does not even look like you can sue easily for the deductible...though it does say in some instances you can.

How no fault insurance works

Michigan car insurance laws

·
Registered
321 Posts
still i TOTALLY agree with 2001RT! on this SUe him for every thing that costs you out of pocket expense this dirt bag was at fault. :(

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Minn is no fault too. But if the Ins Co rules your not at fault. They get the other persons Ins Co. To pay them your deductible back and they repay you back later. I got hit 4 years ago by a 75 year old running a stop light right in front of a cop. I payed my deductible and 2 months later the Ins Co sent me back a check for my deductible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts