DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
lol thats crazy. You know what, one thing I never did understand about car manufacturers is if they don't want us speeding, why in the hell do they make cars that can go so fast??? Its like a first amendment right, freedom of speech but don't talk too much, lol. Kind of a double standard.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is 110, and its got to go... Had this crap on my explorer and drove me nuts.. It kicked in at 97. It was a rev limiter though so it wasn't soo jerky.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Intrepidman21 said:
lol thats crazy. You know what, one thing I never did understand about car manufacturers is if they don't want us speeding, why in the hell do they make cars that can go so fast??? Its like a first amendment right, freedom of speech but don't talk too much, lol. Kind of a double standard.

Exactly.. If you are going to limit it, limit it at like 75 or 80, not *110*

for the record I dont go that fast often, and rarely without need to do so (passing on a 2lane rd, running from the 5.0 etc j/k)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Ignorant.....

The rotating parts of the car, tires included, take a beating.

There is a reason why tires come in different speed ratings.

Ever seen a crankshaft or half-shaft come apart from rotational forces?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Intrepidman21 said:
Its like a first amendment right, freedom of speech but don't talk too much, lol. Kind of a double standard.
Umm,I believe it's a privilege not a right.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Intrepidman21 said:
one thing I never did understand about car manufacturers is if they don't want us speeding, why in the hell do they make cars that can go so fast???
The OEMs don't give a crap how fast you drive, they don't set the speed limits on the roads. They DO set the speed limiter relative to the stock tires offered on the vehicle as part of "due diligence".

So... why not put Z-rated tires on everything ??

$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
OscarTheGrouch said:
They should just make it easier to get rid of ;)
Lol... that wouldn't be duly diligent. Law suits would abound from parents of dead children who've 'easily' disabled this (active) safety device.

As with any safety device, it CAN be over-ridden. If the manufacturer designs it such that a concerted effort (multiple steps) is required on your part to remove / disable it, then you've assumed responsibility by removing it.

PS- removing the limiter doesn't increase the speed your tires are rated for :00000024:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, I'm well aware of speed ratings on tires. Thats one part of a car I pay careful attention to- I've had my share of tires shred on me. Like I said I don't roll at excessive speeds often, but the occasional 2lane road pass of a jackass or something like that...

·
Registered
38 Posts
CDN R/T said:
Good to hear Oscar...

btw... found mine at 143mph :)
I have to call B.S on the 143mph, thats 230kph. I have the 3.5 H.O in my SXT and it bottoms out at 111mph or 180 kph. If what you say is true, I work in Brampton and would be more than happy to see you do it! :bsflag:

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Nemitz said:
I have to call B.S on the 143mph, thats 230kph. I have the 3.5 H.O in my SXT and it bottoms out at 111mph or 180 kph. If what you say is true, I work in Brampton and would be more than happy to see you do it!
I do believe I've been faster than that.......gotta try it again sometime ;) I'm pretty sure I could put it past 240km/h. I've put it past 230 a bunch of times.

......SXT is limited to 180 due to the H rated stock tires. It's really not difficult at all to blow past 200km/h. I've never hit any limiter on my car.......trust me I've gone PLENTY fast a bunch of times and never hit anything. Flooring the pedal and watching the needle bury itself way past the end of the speedo.........car didn't slow down until I let off the pedal. Now I have the 240km/h speedo........I figure I can make FULL use of it ;)

·
Registered
337 Posts
is more like a brain limiter, most high speed accidents happens Thanks to dumb asses (car thieves, car jackers, drunk/drug dumb asses, etc) the average Joe just want to see his machine at full speed for awaile in a remote area..yes limiters sucks but saved lots of innocents lives every year..we need more trees along city streets to stop dumb asses :)

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Nemitz said:
I have to call B.S on the 143mph, thats 230kph. I have the 3.5 H.O in my SXT and it bottoms out at 111mph or 180 kph. If what you say is true, I work in Brampton and would be more than happy to see you do it!
The stock limiter on the 300M PHP, Intrepid R/T, and 300M Special is 143 MPH as set by the latest update of the PCM programs for those cars. There are rumors that factory PCM's were set even higher. And all those cars came equipped with "V" rated tires from the factory.

Call BS all you want to - you're wrong. R/T's are a higher end car than the SXT - that's obvious from the VIN coding. SXT's are a D56, R/T's are D76 ...

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
not that i condone this type of driving, but i can tell you that up to 125 MPH my car does not have a limiter.
IS300M does though. ;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts