DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home late Saturday night I see these very familiar headlights gaining on my rear view mirror. To my surprise it was a red first gen. Intrepid with tinted windows. He zoomed by me and I was doing 80! I decided to chase after him curious to see what a first Gen Trep could do up against the 2nd Gen! We kept toying with one another, when finally I pulled next to him, smiled, and floored it. He tried to catch up but I just kept it to the floor until I lost sight of him. There's nothing like the high from racing another fellow MOPAR and beating them! Sorry First Gen. guys, maybe next time!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just spent 300 bucks polishing off my 3.3. Changed the plugs, filters, flushed everything - you name it I did it. Now, she runs like a dream. And she can just about take it to any sucker on the road.

Bring on a 2nd generation trep I say !

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Originally posted by Black_Knight:
I just spent 300 bucks polishing off my 3.3. Changed the plugs, filters, flushed everything - you name it I did it. Now, she runs like a dream. And she can just about take it to any sucker on the road.

I hate to say it, but us 3.3L guys can get beat by any 2nd gen unless its a beat to hell 2.7 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts

Well, you asked for it! :D

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait till I find a supercharger for the 2.7! Then those R/T guys will be running too! I'll show them...no limiter my @$$!!! LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
The best thing to do when you know the other dude has a quicker car is to scare the **** out of him.In other words,get ahead somehow and then BLOCK like hell! lol!

Usually though the guys who have a quicker car dont know **** about how to drive em - at least in my case.

Im sure Ill get my ass handed to me one of these days but not by another Intrepid ! I'd feel like **** if that happens :)

[ January 09, 2002: Message edited by: Black_Knight ]

·
Registered
69 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set it up buddy! My ES is ready. :cool:

·
Registered
138 Posts

So you're basically saying it runs (at best) like a stock 3.3L. Hard to say if you're delusional, ignorant or just plain ****ing with us. What the hell, I'll give you a chance(?) and run you before I install my K&N Aircharger. I'm just 10 minutes up the hwy. Let's go!!!

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Rick W ]

·
Registered
602 Posts
3.3L..... Not my 02' 2.7! I used to own a 3.3L so I aint hatin' mine was quick after tuning it up, but my 2.7L get's up and I'm about to intake the motherfr'

You can get the 2.7L to around 240-250HP and more torque with a ASE chip and performance intake. The 2.7L is not a bad engine, mine get's up, sounds raw for a little 2.7 too! I probably wont go with the chip because you got to fill up on premium all the time. I already drive too fast sometimes anyway.

I test drove a black 01' and silver 02' R/T and almost bought the black one. They aren't all that but of course I'd still rather have one. Higher insurance, less fuel efficent..... Now these days' they're especially not a big deal since the new ES' have 235HP which is really close to the 245HP of the R/T. Same engine just a more performance tuned PCM/ECU unit. Almost any 3.5L can beat a 2.7 but it should be completely understandable. After some mods I predict that I will beat or at leat be up with a first gen 3.5L of course maybe not a second gen 3.5L with my 02' 2.7L.

I don't get all the hype about the first gen 3.5L, it aint really all that either, no one beleives me but I actually beat one with my 99ES 3.2L, yes he was really racing! The 3.5L looked like it was around a 96' judging by the wheels and looked to be in clean condition. Understandably my 2.7L has less horse power and torque and would probably loose unless there is some type of gain with the second gen powertrain.

As far as I'm concerned if I really need more car to beat someone in a Chrysler, I'll just bring a Viper home.

You gotta give the 3.3L guy credit for being willing to race anyone..... He said he'd take it to them but that dosen't necessarily mean he'd beat everybody.

I flew past another second gen yesterday, it's not like a ha ha ha, I beat you thing but "Yeah, we Mopar!"

Later guys,
MoparPerformance :cool:

a glance at my old 99ES....

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
Registered
602 Posts
Supercharger huh.....?

Well, that goes both ways.... There's also a lot more room in the 2.7L to get a supercharger in.....!

I wonder if supercharging the 2.7L not just because of the Horsepower difference with the 3.5L though, but would be a little easier on the tranny?

NOS? Well, I'd go with full time power like a supercharger before NOS. Hell I'd go with an ASE chip before NOS. But that's just my personal preference with that.

Hella naaw, Again, you don't beleive me but watch your Ultradrive front wheel drive system eventually get torn apart! I'd be a little reluctant to go with a supercharger because of this as well.

I've been thinking of NOS myself though, especially after watching Cobra (Sylvester Stallone) on TBS or TNT the other night, that was bad! That was an old school but bad a$$ movie.

Take care guys,

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i hate to pee in your wheaties but your 2.7 isn't gonna see any 240hp unless you put a supercharger on it. the ASE chip and that intake will maybe buy you 10 or 15hp and then you might keep up with a 3.2L. not the 1st 3.5 and definately not the 3.5HO.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I don't eat Wheaties.... Behold the defender of the 2.7L Intrepid.... Sorry I just copied and pasted....

2.7L Stock 200HP/190 Torque (Governed At 110MPH)(At least my 2002)

ASE 222HP/213 Torque (Non Governed)

(K&N states it'l add about 27HP) (I'm thinking more like 15, possibly 20HP)

It would be 249HP with an ASE and K&N with those performance claims not that I completely beleive it however. I think it's more like 234 with those together. Probably overrated by about 15HP. That's about what the new 3.5L ES has. Let's say it's overratted by like 20HP together, fine, that's still 229HP, overrated by 25HP, that's still 224HP about as much as a 3.2L. The ASE chip also has a 30 day guarantee so I'm sure it's gotta be fairly close to what we claim. Reasonably, around 235HP I beleive, shouldn't be any lower than 225HP.

If I could keep up with a 2nd gen 3.2L, I could keep up with a 1st gen 3.5L. I have raced two 1st gen 3.5's! One was on the street, other on the freeway with my 99 3.2L ES, I didn't have any fancy mods either. I beat them both, didn't whoop the hell out of them but I was about a car length ahead.

The 1st gen 3.5L has like 214HP, I would think that a 2nd gen 3.2L 222HP that has a slightly improved drivetrain and more power could beat the 1st gen 3.5L. I've even done it before as well in my 3.2L. The 2.7L has potential to be brought up close to 3.2L so I'm sure there will be a non supercharged or NOS 2.7L that will be up there with the 1st gen 3.5L. If not now then soon....

Later guys,

·
980 Posts
All you guys that spout hp numbers and base who is gonna win what are full of ****, the only way to know who is gonna beat who is either side by side race or time slips from the drag strip. Dreamed up or suppose to be numbers are for dreamers not racers.Every engine behaves a little differently to the same mods so do not spout #s that are imaginary until you have proof in hand.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
KN will not gain 15 to 25 hp maybe 2 to 8 hp, at WOT only. I Dynoed mine with and with out the KN it was about a 3.7 hp gain on my 2000 R/T. I saw a 8.2 hp on my 1998 NOEN R/T with the ice man and KN. The only way your are going to see big Hp is on Old cars with over 500 hp motors. And dodgeguy is right take to the track and the Dyno, to get true numbers. And no to cars are the same. Some are faster and some are slower. Even with the same motor and year.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself.

You better wake up and quit dreaming if you seriously believe that numbers giving in advertising are going to be true.

But hey, if you're the gullible type that believes everything they read...

...I've got some cheap ocean front property I'd like to sell you...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts