DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I did a search but did not get the answer I was looking for, Has anyone put sound deadener on the roof . I have to pull down my headliner due to a sun roof problem and this seems like the ideal time to put some in. Any thoughts / suggestions?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I heard that it may amplify engine noise......but that might be wrong.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
That sounds about right. If you create a channel by covering body panels with sound deadening material, and leaving the firewall un-deadened. VW did something like that with the new GTI and it makes the engine sound really nice when you are driving, but then again, that car was designed to do that without it being annoying. I suppose you could experiment with it if you are confident about removing and re-installing the headliner if you find you don't like it.

Josiah

·
Registered
105 Posts
I suggest fibreglass insulation compressed between the head liner and the roof. Not quite as effective as other methods, but helps keep the heat out of the car, dont have to worry about dynamat falling off due to the heat factor (seen it many times) and its cheap.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I dont think it will fall... My trunk lid has been covered for a while now... and its still solid.. I say DO IT... and let us know what happens.... I have been a test monkey for quite a few mods, and Ive never had anything bad happen that couldnt be reversed..... whats the worse situation, dorp the headliner halfway, and rip it out, then put the liner back up.... Sounds simple enough.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
JUST sent in some questions at quietcoat. This stuff is great. The best part in my opinion is the weight issue.... the dynamet weighs ALOT! and according to them, it takes 8.7 gallons to cover your entire car (hood, underside,interior, and trunk) with a total weight of 73.95 pounds. You can get 10 gallons and a spray gun for 499.99.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
bdubs676 said:
look at mine, use raammat bxt, cheaper and just as good as dynamt exterme.
can you put it under neath your car?.... how about the weight... lol, I agree its cheaper... but not more effective.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Use ICE & WATER shield, buy it at a roofing supply shop. its about 36" wide and around a dollar a foot or less. I used it on my old car, it was extremely good. made the car sound awesome. Could not hear the bass outside of the car and a nice quiet ride on the HWY. It's sticky on one side so you can just stick it where you want it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts