DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think of Dynamat, Koolmat, and other sound deadening materials? I know a guy with a Z06 who said it helped but wasnt sure it was worth the cost.

Is there a cheaper solution?

-Jesda

·
9,861 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I will be using Cascade Audio Engineering V-Block behind my front speakers. I will most likely use some stuff for the trunk, but before I spend the money on it I want to see how bad my trunk rattles.

Is it worth it? I dunno. If I ever get my system installed I'll let you know. :)

Are you trying to reduce road noise, or is this more car audio related?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have sound deadening material around my entire trunk and in my front doors. I forget which brand. I can't tell you the diference since it was installed with my system. However, I can tell you that I have no rattles when my system is cranked!

·
Registered
247 Posts
i think there was a thred in here about this subject but i cant find it. either way it was about using a certain winterizing material that worked just as good as dynamat and for a fraction of the price. look around.

·
Registered
685 Posts
That winter material is called ICEGUARD...it can be bought at home depot for pretty cheap I hear, havent got it myself yet. What are the advantages of sound deadening the trunk? I want to do it.......but why? Is it so the car wont rattle...basically holding all the sound in, is that good...if i have my system up i want people outside to hear it...even through the walls of the trunk. Not sure what sound proofing actually does, well i know what it does but can i get examples of some advantages?

·
9,861 Posts
Spray will not work as well as mat, because it isnt as heavy. But its nice for side panels and such.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Spray stuff works wonders for me...I used a spray called RoadKill...very thick....i have no dynomat or any other mats in my car...just RoadKill....and believe me it works...I have 4x 15's in my trunk and believe me you would hear my car rattling down the street before u heard the base before i sprayed my car...my trunk wieghs a ton and so do my doors with the spray...i sprayed evertyhing possible i could lol...now the rattle is mostly gone but with my speakers i thinks its almost impossible to stop it completely...the hardest thing to stop rattling is the underneath of my car...not the bottom of my trunk...the actual underneath of my car

·
Registered
383 Posts
It took me a couple of days to do it, but I don't regret it at all... bought "FatMat" off ebay. Paid $100 with shipping for 100 sq yds. did most of the car, doors, rear shelf, truck, 1/2 the floor. Really helped to kill the road noise.

·
Registered
247 Posts
03SXTgangsta said:
That winter material is called ICEGUARD...it can be bought at home depot for pretty cheap I hear, havent got it myself yet. What are the advantages of sound deadening the trunk? I want to do it.......but why? Is it so the car wont rattle...basically holding all the sound in, is that good...if i have my system up i want people outside to hear it...even through the walls of the trunk. Not sure what sound proofing actually does, well i know what it does but can i get examples of some advantages?
well if you want people to be able to hear the music through your trunk, i wouldnt deaden it. because it does just the opposite. if you deaden your trunk it will keep all those vibrations in, improving sound quality. it basically makes your trunk an incloser of itself being that it is contained and does not like sound escape, if you can afford this, and you really like the music, DO IT! you wont regret it

·
Registered
458 Posts
i have dynamat exteme in my car (bulk kit -$120 shipped on ebay or Ikesound ). i think it made a noticeable decrease in the vibrations in the trunk (especially the trunk lid itself). i lined the entire trunk with it and in my opinion it has made an improvement in the sound quality in my car, because now there is less rattling that would otherwise taint the music, and also it keeps more mucis/bass in the car rather than a lot of it going through the trunk lid. but still what impressed me most was the significant cut-back in vibrations. when i first put 2 12" subs in my trunk and gave them 450 watts RMS, it sounded like my poor fiberglass wing was going to be vibrated right off the trunk lid, but after i put a good layer a dynamat extreme on and even after getting new sub (now giving them 900watt rms), the trunk lid had very little vibrating and at least then it was much less obnoxious.
was it worth it.......i guess that just depends on how much you value you system and if its worth it to do whatever possible to improve it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
how may square feet would it take to fill our trunk on every possible surface?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My intention is to actually reduce road noise. I mean, there isn't much. I know half of it is from the performance tires and stiff sidewalls. But I want my interior to be a silent tomb.

-Jesda

·
Registered
458 Posts
IAmNewAndTired said:
how may square feet would it take to fill our trunk on every possible surface?
it would probably take a good 36 sq ft (dynamat bulk pack). i had 9 sheets of dynamat extreme (36sq ft) and i used a good 7 1/2 sheets in the trunk, but i also didnt do every possible surface either....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Intrpeid trunk will take about 50 fee tot do a good deadedning job. this includes the floor walls rear dash (top and bottom) and trunk lid.

Hope this helps
ANT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts