DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with sound deadening, particularly Fatmat? After asking some questions on another forum about Dynamat, someone pointed me towards Fatmat. it says it's a cheaper Dynamat replacement. Everyone know that with car audio, you get what you pay for. Is the same true for Fatmat or are the prices just so low because it's a smalelr company not out to screw the little guy? i.e. $39.99 for a sq. ft. pack of Dynamat Xtreme compared to a 36 sq. ft. pack of Fatmat for $49.99

Also another question I had is about spray on sound deadener. While searching for headlights at Wal-mart I saw this spray can and for some reason it caught my attention. It said it was a rust preventer, but it also listed sound deadener as a use. Anyone think it would work? Another can there that caught my attention was the spray on bed liners, and it's mentioned that it can be used for sound deadening. Any input?

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
an even cheaper route would be the home sound deadener they use in residential construction. You can get a roll of 100 feet for about 20 bucks. Obviously not as great as dynamat, but a small fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Anything that adds mass to what it is applied to will act as a sound deadener. The heavier something is the more energy is required to create a vibration. Depending on what you're applying this to there are many, many options. Peel 'n Seal is great for things like the floor pan, but isn't the best for roofs or vertical panels in a climate where it gets hot. Dynamat and similar products are designed out of different materials to help with deadening while not weighing so much they'll sag or fall when the adhesive gets hot and sticky. Therefore, it makes sense to spend a little more if you're going to be applying this to the roof. Spray in deadener is great for hard to reach places like inside the doors or inside body panels. However, a can of ruberized undercoating can do just as well for a small fraction of the price...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts