DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1- There is a nasty background noise whenever I put my radio on, Also if I press the GAS the radio noise increases, I have an amplifier in the back.

Whats the reason for this problem? Someone told me its because the amplifier is bad.

2- My engine light is on, anything specific I should check? I own a 2001 Intrepid (I dont know if it is a SE, anyway I can tel? It has a "S" in the back next to the window.

Thank you! :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad (high resistance) ground connection in your amp/system wiring.
The CEL (check engine light) problem can be figured out like this;
turn the key to 'On'-- not start-- the 'Off,' then on, then 'off', the 'on'
quickly, and watch your odometer where the milage is displayed.
This will give you malfunction codes...P1684 m, most always there, means the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 start cycles...
Any other probs will give a code, and you can search for the code list here at DiNet...or get back to us...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alarkyokie said:
It sounds like you have a bad (high resistance) ground connection in your amp/system wiring.
The CEL (check engine light) problem can be figured out like this;
turn the key to 'On'-- not start-- the 'Off,' then on, then 'off', the 'on'
quickly, and watch your odometer where the milage is displayed.
This will give you malfunction codes...P1684 m, most always there, means the battery has been disconnected in the last 50 start cycles...
Any other probs will give a code, and you can search for the code list here at DiNet...or get back to us...
Thanks about the on/off tip, really cool !

WEll I got 2 codes:

1- P1684: battery has been disconnected in the last 50 start cycles (how can I turn it off?

2- P0601: Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error ( I dont know what it means, how can I reset it to see if it comes back) If I can reset it disconnecting battery for 20 minutes, I already did and still there, any way to fix this thing? Or what is it?

Thank you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
p1684 is normal. as for 0601 someone else will have to help u with that one.


as for the noise in the stereo. check your grounds. also if its a high power amp cranking hundreds of watts your alternator probably cant handle it OR the spark plug wires arent good enough. alot of times the spark plug wires cause humm or static in the stereo. check grounds first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stroise said:
p1684 is normal. as for 0601 someone else will have to help u with that one.


as for the noise in the stereo. check your grounds. also if its a high power amp cranking hundreds of watts your alternator probably cant handle it OR the spark plug wires arent good enough. alot of times the spark plug wires cause humm or static in the stereo. check grounds first.
Thanks for the sound tips, I'll work on that.

about the 0601 I rfead that I have to replace pcm but someone needs to "re-programmit"...sounds like I'm gonna have to go to the shop, is it expensive?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
did all this happen as soon as u connected a stereo with amp. try disconnecting amps and kickers if any. Then disconnect battery for 30 min. see if check engine lite goes out. if it does then the stereo might be over powering the cars electronics. if engine lite is out then its all related. check your wiring. im not sure how much a pcm is. doesnt sound good to have that replaced then reprogrammed. im trying to narrow the problem down. so i would disconnect stereo equipment first and disconnect bat for a period of time. then reconnct. see how car is drive it around for a couple of miles. if lite stays out then u found your prob. good luck and sorry for repeating this twice. LOL. let us know how it goes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
ground your amp at a better location..and make sure the power wire isnt crossing the RCA's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
stroise said:
did all this happen as soon as u connected a stereo with amp. try disconnecting amps and kickers if any. Then disconnect battery for 30 min. see if check engine lite goes out. if it does then the stereo might be over powering the cars electronics. if engine lite is out then its all related. check your wiring. im not sure how much a pcm is. doesnt sound good to have that replaced then reprogrammed. im trying to narrow the problem down. so i would disconnect stereo equipment first and disconnect bat for a period of time. then reconnct. see how car is drive it around for a couple of miles. if lite stays out then u found your prob. good luck and sorry for repeating this twice. LOL. let us know how it goes
Hmm now that you mentioned it, I think it happened at the same time..I'll work on it tomorrow and let u know how it goes, thanx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,536 Posts
a) there are no spark plug wires on 98-2004 LH2 cars. However, grit and grime can get into the coil packs and cause problems. It doesn't hurt to pull the packs off, make sure that the spark plug connections are clean, and put everything back together again.

b) depending on the size of your amp, the power feed and gound wires might need to be as large as 6 ga, maybe 4 ga. The positive (red) cable needs to be run straight from the battery. The negative (black) cable needs to be well grounded to the frame of the car. Fanatics have been known to take the negative cable all the way to the battery too. Double check the ground on your head unit too.

c) make sure that the power turn-on signal for your amps is connected to the correct wire at your head unit.

d) run your power cables seperate from the speaker and signal cables.

e) caps are generally a waste of money if your amps are pulling more power than the car battery can supply.

f) a larger alternator will charge your battery faster, but it will not not let you run larger amps. The only solution for power draw is a power supply; the battery. Larger alternators run from 160 amp ($100, a used Chrysler police package alternator) to over $300 for a 200 amp custom wound job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
u shitting me. there are no spark plug wires on those year cars. thats kool. that rules out the problem being spark plug wires. lolol
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top