DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience "hiding" anything behind the dashboard? I have a remote siren amp that I tried mounting in the trunk, but the length of the wires required caused an excessive drop in current. When I hit the button for the airhorn sound, it is deeper and quieter than it should be. Has anyone tried to hide a box that is 2 3/8" H x 4 3/8" W x 5 3/8? Thanks for your help.

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The center console is where I had it in my Impala. The Intrepid console is MUCH smaller than the Impala's, so it didn't fit as well. Also, there are no holes in the Intrepid console to pass the wires through. The console *may* be an option, but I have a lot of crap in there. Thanks for the ideas.

Mike

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Yeah no problem, Mike. How about we fun a few more ideas across ya. What LH vehicle trim, model and engine do you have?

I know that if you had a cone filter setup in your vehicle, or if you had a second generation intrepid,. you could remove the resonator box.. which is almost exactly the size your looking for. You could custom mount it right there. :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 2004 Intrepid SE. The unit can't be mounted in the engine compartment (although I would love to put it there) because it is not water/dust/heat proof.

·
Registered
504 Posts
There might be enough room under the holder in the dash beneath the radio. If you take of your shifter bezel, look toward the engine compartment.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Why don't you just run larger guage wire to the amplifier to prevent the votage drop. Then you don't have to worry about hiding it under the dash, you can leave it in the trunk...

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I had experience hidding a CB radio in the dash!

Sorry since that didnt help you any! There is lots of room under the steering wheel area though.

--Gorm

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, if I run higher gauge wire, then I run into the problem of the wires fitting into the terminals of the amp (I had trouble getting 14ga wire in there). The idea of mounting it under the steering wheel is what I was looking for. I thought of that area, but I haven't had time to try and rip it apart and verify that there was room there.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
You could always mount it to the inside roof ceiling.. Hang a disco ball from it. :D

I know you responded to the center console idea that I had mentioned, but what about your glove box? That should fit something around that size I believe?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE
Well, I poked around, and I am right back where I was. The amp is just barely too big to fit in the glovebox (and still be able to use it for storage). I took off the shifter bexel, and there is no room there. I measured the voltage in the trunk, and it is the same as at the fuse block. So now it is a question of current. I haven't been able to measure the current. I think my multi-meter is screwed up.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Measure the voltage with siren on. If there is too much current being drawn, then the voltage will drop. What kind of terminals are on the amp? What size of fuse does it have???

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The terminals are the kind that you stick the wire into and then tighten a screw down on top of it. I tried using heavier wire in the pas (14 gauge) and it was almost too big to fit in there. I am using the "recomended" 16 gauge now. Thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE
The plot thickens. I have determined that when the car is turned OFF, the airhorn sounds normal. When the car is running, the airhorn sounds funny. Is this a bad ground? Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
If the sound is affected due to low voltage it should do this when the car is off worse than when the car is on since the alternator is not there sourcing the power. Not really knowing what this system consits of and how everything is connected I'd be almost willing to suggest it's suffering from induced noise when the engine is running. This could be a bad ground, but there are multiple possibilities...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, knowing how it is grounded, that is the first place I am going to look. I am pretty sure now that it is not current related. Thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE
OK, I have re-grounded the amp, and this is where I am:

I have kind of isolated some of the issues I am having with my airhorn, and it gets more and more bizarre by the day. I have determined that when the car is OFF, it sounds normal. When the car is running, it has a deeper and more "gurgly-type" tone than normal, and when the headlights are on it sounds pretty close to normal. Does anyone have ANY idea what is going on here? The wiring is as follows:

-10 gauge positive and negative run to a
fuse block in the passenger compartment.

-16 gauge positive runs to the amp, mounted in the trunk.

-16 gauge negative is grounded to the frame with a ring terminal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. At the advice of a collegue, I have purchased a noise filter from Radio Shack, but have not installed it yet. If it is not a noise issue, then back it goes. Thanks.

Mike F

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE
I give up. I have contacted the manufacturer, run a new ground, and installed a noise filter, and the thing still sounds funny. I think it is time for me to find a new mounting place. My latest theory is that since there are so many wires running to the battery, switches, speaker, etc., they are acting like antennae and picking up whatever noise is around. Maybe if I relocate the amp, and shorten the wires, that will solve the problem. Thanks to all that offered help.

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts