DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, if you didn't notice, the site as very very slow (and sometimes down) this morning until the afternoon when I managed to regain control.

This was caused by a spammer, most likely a bot, sending everyone email and PM's. This spammer had about 20 or so usernames. The interestingpart is that they did not register yesterday or today. They have been registered at different times over the last month. So it looks as if this attack has been planned for a little while.

I managed to track down all of the usernames that were part of this attack, and have deleted them. I have also banned the IP addresses that they were using.

In order to prevent spam attacks like this in the future, I have decided to step up and get more serious about security on the site. Which means there are going to be a few changes.

First off, the email to a friend feature, which is where you fill out a form and send an email to another forum user, has been completely turned off. It was a nice feature, but as we found out, can be easily abused.

Second, I have turned on email confirmation to new registrations again. This will verify email addresses. I had turned this off, because a lot of valid registrations were not getting the emails, making my job more difficult. To combat this problem, I have changed the permisisons on the Help, Feedback and Suggestions forum, allowing registered users who have not been able to confirm their address to post there and get support.

Third, I have also removed the links in the Memberlist to PM a member. This prevents someone from going down the list and sending PM after PM. You can still get a link to PM's in their profile, but it's a few extra clicks.

Fourth, I believe I am going to implement a rule that wouldn't allow someone to send a private message until they post at least one message. I might even make it a rule that no one can post any message until they post once in the new members forum. This can help weed out some of the spammers.

Last, I am going to get GD installed properly, so that I can turn on Image Verification to ner registrations.

If anyone else has any more suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Yeah, I got one of them today? Strange.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
haha me too... strangely though.. i thought it was kinda cool :/ lol. Anyhow, who would bother with an Intrepid board? lol Bet Tay's got something to do with the hacking and whatnot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks Randy. We all appreciate the work you've done (and are continuing to do) to keep the site going.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
And Randy does it again, devoting his expertise to better serve us all. I got one of those pm's too, racing or something or the other, I wasn't really paying attention. Thanks again Randy!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
To the best drivers on earth,

The Ultimate Rally is the world championship of street racing.
7 days, 3000 miles, 200mph and US$ 2 million prize money.

Are you a brilliant driver with a powerful car?
Would you like to drive against the best of the best?
Will you be the star in our "USD 5 mio" cinema movie?

See our terms & conditions and apply here:
a link

Join the drivers at our official Forum:
a link

Win a Porsche 911 Turbo + free Ultimate Rally entry:
a link

See you in August 2006,
Ultimate Rally HQ

did anyone get this cause i did from this guy keanviktor

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Yes. This has already been posted about thoroughly and is the topic of this and another thread. Check the forums.

-Brandon

·
Registered
575 Posts
Great, cept this one...

I might even make it a rule that no one can post any message until they post once in the new members forum. This can help weed out some of the spammers.
That might turn off members who just want to post a simple question...

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
popimp said:
I have also noticed I get a lot of spyware and pop-ups from this site.
You could just d/l any of several free programs to stop that. Adaware and Spybot are what I use on the kid's machine. They seem to draw spybots like a virtual magnet. But I've never had an issue with any of that stuff on my machine.
Astrogiblet said:
Buy a mac = no spyware = no popups (popup blocker, also on firefox, and most decent browsers)
We're not gonna' go through that again, are we ...?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
well i tend not to read that much but thank you for letting me know about this it was my first peice of **** mail so is there another thread so that i know where to post the user's name?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts