DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, once i ran out of gas (before i got my otis) and i just bought a 1.5 gallon spare gas tank to prevent that from happening. two questions, where is the safest place to put it in the car and how long can gasoline stay in there?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
lol...you ran out of gas. hum, i dunno about keeping a spare can of gas in the car, it could possibly spill or something else with all the temperature variations. keep an empty gas can in there, so you can walk to a gas station and just fill it up if need be, or just watch your guages, low fuel lights don't come on for nothin. :tongue:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, i now have the otis with the distance to empty, it happened the week before i got the otis and i misjudged my gas mileage and overshot it.
the thing has a pretty sturdy construction and is double gasketted

·
9,861 Posts
Do not put a gas container in your car unless it is completely sealed. Fumes will get out and fill your trunk over time.

I just always fill my car when it gets at, or near 1/4 a tank. I also will fill it up before long trips.

·
Registered
604 Posts
yeah i always keep my car semi full and when it get's to 1/4 i fill it

·
Registered
366 Posts
speaking of running out of gas, ive driven my car with the warning gas light on for prolly like 50miles, i pull into the gas station and i can only manage to get like 14gallons into the tank, i thought we had a 18gallon tank. Is it a known issue that our gauges are inaccurate, also what will the otis say about this once i install it in the upcoming weeks.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Faurtwenty said:
speaking of running out of gas, ive driven my car with the warning gas light on for prolly like 50miles, i pull into the gas station and i can only manage to get like 14gallons into the tank, i thought we had a 18gallon tank. Is it a known issue that our gauges are inaccurate, also what will the otis say about this once i install it in the upcoming weeks.
I think you may have a problem with your gas guage.. because I do that sometimes.. & when I fill it.. it takes a little over 16.5 gallons.. so.. maybe your gas guage/sending unit is starting to go.

·
9,861 Posts
On most cars when the needle is bottomed out you should still have some fuel left. Its kind of a reserve.

Back when i had my tempo, i would drive it all the time to E.

This car will eat up gas real quick at WOT, so I try to avoid having it too low.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
um, i thought the gauge went to low at 2 gallons... which translates to up to 50 miles

the otis does instant mileage calculations straight from the bcm and tells you your current gas mileage, and from the average mileage and how much gas is in the tank, it will give you a distance to empty readout.

·
Registered
366 Posts
my gauge has always been reading like that, since i got the car 4years ago, and its still like that since i swapped to a intrepid instrument cluster. I was just figuring it was the gas tank/float/gauge working against me.
In city driving, i have to baby it to squeeze ~290miles from the tripometer, but when i fill it, i at most get 14 gallons in. So i figured theres like a 4gallon buffer there, but i dont want to chance it.
But will the OTIS calculated distance till empty based off an 18gallon tank, or based on how much your "supposed" to get from the factory?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it takes calculations as to the air/fuel mix... it knows how much gas you're using at that current moment... i tested it once, i sped up and i was getting about 9 mpg... then when i let it coast, i got 99 mpg (it was idling and i was going about 80mph). when you push the gas, the mileage goes down, and when you coast, it goes up... so it's not just some random arbitrary value, it figures it out on the fly.

yes, i have had a problem lately where i would get the low fuel light, but i would only get around 15 gallons in... which would mean there were 3 gallons left...
lol here's an idea... i'm going to drive my car until it's empty... totally empty... and use the gas tank i bought to ensure i don't need to get AAA to help my sorry ass... and we'll see what happens. it might be that there's a problem with my fuel system... i remember however when i first got my car, i put 18 gallons in and i was totally surprised because i had no clue it was that large.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Hey Faurtwenty, I have the same problem. My gas gauge is basically calibrated for a 14 gallon tank so I would always fil it up and never break 14. A few weeks ago I read about our tanks and found out that it is actually a 17 gallon tank(not 18). I've been meaning to take it to the dealer to see if they can do something about it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well everywhere i've read, it says 18 gallons... haynes/chilton manual, factory manual, carpoint.com etc...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Running your car all the way to empty will damage the pump and the engine a bit. It really depends on howmuch crap got into your gas tank.

When you run it to the last drop it sucks in all the sediment at the bottom of the trunk, dust, dirt, bits of metal etc. It can clog things up or leave nasty scratches.

Having said that, I've yet to run out of gas. Every car generaly goes to empty with about 2 gallons left. I amost always drive my car till the fuel ligth is on and never had to put in more than 15.5 gallons.

Kind of off topic but : Does anyone ever have the issue where you start filling up a tank that you know is almost empty and the pump shuts down just after a few seconds? You start again and it works for a bit and then shuts down again...you just do that till it's about 14 gallons..

·
Registered
990 Posts
FileNotFound said:
Kind of off topic but : Does anyone ever have the issue where you start filling up a tank that you know is almost empty and the pump shuts down just after a few seconds? You start again and it works for a bit and then shuts down again...you just do that till it's about 14 gallons..
Yes.. & it pisses me off... BIGTIME.. very annoying

·
Registered
266 Posts
May I suggest something like this

Spare Tank

I've also seen an emergency gas can which is designed for your car, and you can put regular gas in it. Check your local hardware or automotive store.

Jason

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Pennzoil used to make a product called Rescue. I don't know if it's still out there or not, but it's a similar product to what Jayman linked to. Much safer than carrying around fuel...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts