DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the recommended gap for the plugs on a 3.3 should be? I took mine out the other day to make sure everything looked ok in the cylinders, but the gap seemed to be very wide. They are Autolites, I have found some sites that say 0.050 and some say 0.035. Also can overgapped plugs cause poor gas mileage, I am getting 15-17mpg in the city, I am rarely on the interstate. Any help would be great.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Best place to be absolutely sure is the underhood sticker. It's usually down on the passenger side of the hood. It has the plug gap listed on it. Overgapping the plugs could cause a whole host of problems, not in the least shitty mileage. I've seen plugs with gaps of over .080 burning out coils and modules!
You could safely set them at .045 with no problems.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Good question. My underhood sticker on my 3.5 says .050". When I buy new plugs the books always say .035". What is right?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ma Mopar issued a TSB about changing the gaps on the 3.5l plugs. I used .050 (I think) and have no starting or running problems what-so-ever.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I was also wondering the gap for the 3.3....i will try the .048 and see what happens...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well Ive done some research and apparently there is a bulletin by chrysler that the 3.3 was changed from .050 in which i was using and very hard to start when cold... and they said for colder climates to gap to .035 so i set em to .040 but im going to set them to .035 to be sure but just passing on the word

·
Registered
601 Posts
Doobie, I think you are mixed up with the 3.5 L recommendations, which were changed to help with cold start-ups. The 3.3 L plugs should be .050, they should come out of the box like that, although you should check anyways. I mistakenly had mine set at .035 in the past. It resulted in less power and poor gas mileage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok thanks for the info.. i may of read it wrong.. i will set em back to .050 as i do drive 50kms a day so mileage is a big thing for me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts