DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all 6 of my spark plugs today, and much to my dismay, this was the first one I pulled out...that is, the driver's side cylinder closest to the firewall

The other two on that side had some buildup on the side electrodes, and the passenger side's 3 plugs had oil all over the threads.

Is it a good damn thing I replaced 'em, or is all this indicative of something more sinister?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
is that a autolite plug??ive never seen that with a champion,,,

·
Premium Member
17,340 Posts
My experience with oil on the plugs has been due to the orings (do not know the exact name) needing replaced. I'll look for the exact name, but I'm sure someone will post before I can.
You talking about the valve stem seals?

·
Registered
15,245 Posts
'oil on the threads' - could mean anything. I had wet plugs but from a bad headgasket (coolant). Just monitor the car's performance, if no change, I'd wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
This thread is about the oil on the threads? When I looked at the picture, I was more concerned about the missing piece at the tip (don't know what it's called, but where the spark jumps to) unless it's supposed to look like that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe that is what they are along with the spark plug tube orings.

Is the oil on the electrode? If so, does it looked soaked?
No oil on the electrodes...those all looked fine.

This thread is about the oil on the threads? When I looked at the picture, I was more concerned about the missing piece at the tip (don't know what it's called, but where the spark jumps to) unless it's supposed to look like that.
It's about both problems! I was quite confused as to why one electrode was totally shot like that, and the other five were seemingly normal.

·
Premium Member
17,340 Posts
If oil was *above* the threads, in the spark plug well before removing the spark plug, then that is 100% a leak at the bottom of the spark plug well tube where it plugs into the top of the head. If it's oil on the tip of the plug (and the thing that broke of is called the ground *electrode*), then we're talking rings (unlikely), head gasket leak (not vey likely), or valve stem seals (likely).

Can stuck rings (as opposed to worn out rings) cause oil in the combustion chamber? I don't know. Depending on oil change history, you might want to try a little cleaner in the oil - something like 8 ozs. of Marvel Mystery Oil or transmission fluid to dissolve anything out over an oil change interval or two that might be gumming up the rings (if you do that and suspect a lot of residue in the crankcase, change oil every 3000 miles or earlier, and replace the oil filter at each change during that process).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts