DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeap. Beat to death. Do a search.. yea yea.. no one gives a good answer or part number.

ok.

I am looking to replace my bosch Platnums (they fouled out in 10K miles.... I think has something to do with the engine overheat/head gasget/water pump/timing belt affair.... but still.. 10K.......)

Bosch +2's or +4's are bad, right?
Bosch plats overall have a sour mark in my book right now

Champion Copper Plus plugs... plane jane, Good?
Champion Premium Gold.... my Napa Guy says they cost $20 a piece. (BS, I know), my Checker Auto guy says he can get them in maybe a month... he also said he *thinks* they are platnum, but he doesn't know, he hasn't dealt with them at all.

A/C Delco's.. huh? GM part in my Mopar Engine? might work.. I don't know?

SplitFire- no

I can order NGK's it looks like from the checker website....

and then: Autolites.... checker has a buncha those, std, Plats, dbl plats......

any suggestions? any ideas?

your input is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Lafrad said:
yeap. Beat to death. Do a search.. yea yea.. no one gives a good answer or part number.
That's because if you search the forums you will find the answers to your questions. :p

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ok here is the P/N for the Champion Gold Plugs from NAPA:

P/N 2412

That is a box of 6 plugs that costs $16.63 for the box. These plugs are for the 3.5L V6 in the 1st Gen 'Treps only and should be gapped to 0.035. If you own a '95 you should have the PCM flashed with the latest ROM, which should include the cold start update.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ok...
PCM = Powertrain Control Module
ROM = Read Only Memory

The ROM is basically the program that the engine uses to run. There needs to be an update to it in order for the car to run correctly with the regapped plugs. The plug gap and cold start update is only for '93-'94 3.5L engine 'Treps.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks p33 :p

anyway
thanks for the part number swart. I 'preciate it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
swartlkk said:
Ok here is the P/N for the Champion Gold Plugs from NAPA:

P/N 2412

That is a box of 6 plugs that costs $16.63 for the box. These plugs are for the 3.5L V6 in the 1st Gen 'Treps only and should be gapped to 0.035. If you own a '93 or '94 you must have the PCM flashed with the latest ROM, which should include the cold start update.

Good Luck,
Are you sure about the PCM flash? mine runs fine with 0.035 gap. Where did you get the info that the PCM must be flashed?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It may have already been done. There was a TSB back in '95 about the recommended spark plug change and the PCM update for '95 3.5L equiped 'Treps built between Oct 24, 1994 and Feb. 17, 1995. I was wrong about it being a '93-'94 thing. I should have read my old post.

Here is what I wrote awhile ago. It includes the full TSB text:

Spark Plug Gap -- One More Time

Disregard the spark plug gap for various compression ratio's on the bottom of my first post as it only applies to engines using an MSD ignition.

Good luck and sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just picked up some Champion Gold plugs last month and had to have them specially order. Car Quest had to call Champion to find out the exact model number for my car. Before they called they took the serial number of my car and came to find out that two different engines were made for the 94 3.3 treps (????).

All in all I don't have the part number for you because I tossed the box. According to Champion they said it was the last six gold plugs in North America. They must have meant the last six for that engine type (mine is "T"), year and there stock from the Canadain supplier. Total cost with tax for me was $42 cdn including a $10 shipping cost (just plain crazy).

When I swapped the plugs, the previous owner had Champions install. Now my car is a LOT smoother with accelerations.

·
Registered
530 Posts
there is a "normal" 3.3 engine and a flex fuel engine for those emission friendly people out in california and such, you know be nice to environment then get hit by a mudslide, riot, earthquake, oj, flood, fire, etc.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Thanks Corey. I have been wondering what the hell that flex fuel thing was since Randy put those TSB's on the site. :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
swartlkk said:
It may have already been done. There was a TSB back in '95 about the recommended spark plug change and the PCM update for '95 3.5L equiped 'Treps built between Oct 24, 1994 and Feb. 17, 1995. I was wrong about it being a '93-'94 thing. I should have read my old post.

Here is what I wrote awhile ago. It includes the full TSB text:

Spark Plug Gap -- One More Time

Disregard the spark plug gap for various compression ratio's on the bottom of my first post as it only applies to engines using an MSD ignition.

Good luck and sorry for the confusion.
Well that answers my question, my Intrepid was built in Feb 94, for a sec there I thought I messed up my car. :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think the "gold" plugs were made JUST for the Intrepid.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Standard resistor core plugs were correct for the 1st gen LH's 3.3's and 3.5's. A different extended tip was all that was really needed for the 3.5's. Platinum, gold, Iridium, +2, +4, split, V-groove and all that are up to you. I use standard NGK's. I have used Champ golds in my 2.2 turbo and liked them alot. I've also used Cham "truck" plugs for sh*ts and giggles. Buy not too impressed. I personally perfer the NGK's. and they are available in platinum version also I believe.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts