1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I am going to replace my spark plugs after lots of searching to
Champion platinums

My question is...are they gapped correctly out of the box or do you still need to do this?

How tight do you install these?

THanks

Jim

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
jimtesla said:
My question is...are they gapped correctly out of the box or do you still need to do this?

How tight do you install these?
Jim: My Bosch plugs supposedly came "pregapped" from the factory. I still double checked mine. The correct gap for the 2.7 is 0.048-0.058 of an inch.
The proper torque is 156 in/lbs.
Good luck. :)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Yup, double check all gaps. Even though they might have been VERy accurately done at the factory, and might do fine in your car, think.. how were these packages handled? Well, they get dropped into a box carefully, then travel a few hundred miles or more in the back of a big tractor trailer (read, bumpy ride) then get handled, and put onto the shelves etc. The gap tool can also be bought for like $1. Not exactly a huge expense for one of THEE main performance critical parts of your engine. :) Only takes a second or two to measure the gap and or correct.

·
Registered
931 Posts
dont try to gap platinum spark plugs, when your done all you will have is a regular cheap spark plug. they should come gapped if any look a bit off go return it. the reason being is that you scrape the electrode and grounding tab making the fact that they WERE platinum irrelevant.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I went out to change my plugs today.....

Napa closed
Pep boys no champion plugs
Kragan..got them...

get home....spark plug socket is too big for the plugs...

go back pick up a socket.........made sure it was for the plug....

Lets try this again..socket is wrong size...1/2 inch mine is 3/8

F___. back again........

Decide to pull out the air filter and clean it ..Notice the battery all coroded again....
So I clean the battery.....when doen put everything back...

Too late now for the plugs....

Will do tomorrow

couple more questions....

A write up says hand tighten to start....How do you do this....its like 4 inches down there to the top?

And how do you take apart all the wires and tubes...from the pcv and everything else on the drivers side rear..Dont know which number that is..it looks like a *****..

Whats the magic potion to get the bugger out?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,870 Posts
I think the idea with hand starting is to not use the ratchet at first - just the socket and extension. Some people - especially down in a hole like that - will try to start it with the ratchet, which can cross-thread the plug before you know it. And don't forget the anti-seize - that stuff is critical for an aluminum block ...

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Yes verry important.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts