DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the door speakers in my car, and I have a couple of questions.

I know the stock size is 4" but I have heard that people have put 5.25" in to the doors. Are there any special considerations, or do they slip right in?

I've been looking at possibly getting mid-bass drivers for the doors as the dash houses pretty nice tweeters. (I have the Infinity system.) I've found some in varying sizes; 3.5" 4" and 5.25" What frequency range should I look for? I think that 80Hz-xKHz should be fine.

The rear package shelf speakers will come later, and I have a couple ideas for that. Either some good quality 6x9's or a couple of 6.5" or 8" woofers with component tweeters.

TIA for helping me out.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
while we are on the topic of speakers, any idea how big the 'sub' is on the rear deck with the infinity setup? sure sounds good at lower volume, but once u crank it up, it sounds crappy.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm...I have no idea about the stock sub..I'm going to have to take a look to see if my car even has one! I'm pretty sure the previous owner had an aftermarket system, so it might have been removed.

Right now, its all stock except for a Profile B200 amp and a Sony XLS1235 sub in a sealed box...believe it or not, it provides a great deal of output.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had no clue that infinity even included a sub. Did they start doing that in later models? I've got a 98 with infinity and there was no factory sub, just two 6X9's. I put in a 10" bazooka in the trunk just to get some more bass. I just leave one of my back seats down so I dont have to fire it through 8" of foam, carpet, and leather and it hits really hard for a single speaker.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Us 98's lucked out. They really upgraded the Infinity system starting with the 99's. :( I do not believe the 98's have a sub, or could have had one?

·
Registered
299 Posts
no intrepid has ever had a "sub" in it...any year, and model, any stereo option....6x9's in the rear of every year, and 5.25's or 4's in the 1st gens doors,and i believe 6.5 in the second gen, but no subs....

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
i have to assume there is a sub, 9 speakers, 7 locations, and the bass doesnt really kick hard unless it's deep, and it can hit some lows, then it's in yer chest.
2 tweets on the doors, 2 in the doors, 2-2way 6x9's on the rear deck, and the 'sub' thats how i have it figured. the 'box' in my trunk is the whole length of my rear deck that houses all the speakers.

"Also available on ES and R/T is the cassette player with 4-disc in-dash changer, 240W amplifier with nine Infinity® speakers in 7 locations and steering wheel mounted audio controls."

i'll call and find out to be sure, but i am positive there is a 'sub', or at least some kind of stand alone woofer.

maybe i'm wrong, but u should hear it sometime.
:D

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: Thrasher ]

·
Registered
530 Posts
No sub ever offered factory in any Intrepid ever. Don't worry, you can make any system sound deep with good set of 6by9's, its not really that hard. But there has never been a factory stand alone sub, period.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
now it's a mission...

when i get my car back from the #$%@#$^ dealer... it's been there almost a wek now because of a leak in the windshield! it's fixed now but they are waiting on new carpeting, so i am stuck in a ford taurus for the time being. but once i get it back, i am gonna look, cuz i am tellin ya's theres something back there, and it's got a lot of kick . at this point i am not gonna say there is and i am not gonna say there isn't until i know for sure :)
if theres no sub, then what could the odd # of speaker be?

gosh, almost hostile about it..sheesh.

·
Registered
169 Posts
there is a tweeter in the center of the dash, i have no clue what channel it runs off of, but THERE IS NO FACORY SUB.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
93-97 Intrepid & 94-97 LHS: 3.5" in dash, 4" in door, 6"x9" in rear deck

98-00 Intrepid: 5.25" or 6.5" in door, 6"x9" in rear deck (some have tweets in front A-pillar)

Info provided by Crutchfield except the tweets. That info provided by me. :)

Crutchfield didn't list the tweets, so it's possible they forgot to list some other option.

·
Registered
299 Posts
i cant believe we are arguing over a sub in a car factory....THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A SUB (stand alone woofer) in a car factory. NO SUBS.....6x9s thats it...NO SUB!!!!!!! theres a 0% chance of a sub being in your car FACTORY

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: 93Intrepid ]

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have to agree with you 93 Intrepid. I looked into my Sport there is the door, the dash ,the rear 6x9 with an amp, and that small tweater in the center of the dash giving the 7 locations.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
thats fine and dandy, as i said before i'm not saying there is or isn't. no sub, fine, great, then what is the 9th speaker? a tweeter in the middle of the dash? like was mentioned? seems kind of oddballish, but possible, wouldn't that throw off the 'stereo' effect? if it's a tweeter in the middle, is not mono? what channel would it be on?

no-one is arguing anything.

I thought there was a sub back there

so kill me because i was wrong

gaaa

:mad:

·
Registered
220 Posts
It's not a tweeter, its more of a full-range speaker for a "Center Channel"

The infinity/chrysler 6x9's could delever some pretty good bass when powered correctly, but not at very high volumes.

Don't forget a 6x9 speaker has the same surface area as a 8" sub..

Plus I have a set of Orion 5.25 XTR component midbasses in my front doors and they fit fine. The stock speakers are really 5" not 4" like many think, a 5.25" will usually fit there fine (there are some depth issues with the windows rolled down, so be careful)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've taken out my back seats and the whole back portion of the car actually. There's 2 6x9's back there, nothing else. I think the 9 speakers come from the 2 6x9's in the back, 2 6.5's in the doors, 2 tweets in the doors, and 3 (??) smaller speakers in the dash. If you click the link in my signature, you can see my car all torn apart during the install. When I had my fronts out I was messing with the balance/fader of my HU and noticed all the sound coming out of the dash. 3 speakers is the only thing that makes sense considering I've torn out everything but the dash of my car and found 6 speakers.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I don't believe the 98 ES had the 9 speaker option. I am pretty sure they started that in 99, because I was not given the option for 9 speakers when I bought mine, and then heard that the 99's would have 9 and I was a little upset about it. I believe the most in 98 was 6 or 7 (I don't remember which one it was?).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts