DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1995 Dodge Intrepid ES. I just purchased a JVC KD-SH99 head unit and want to purchase some speakers as well to replace the factory ones...

I know there is 6x9 speakers in the rear deck, and I think 3.5" in the dash. But my question is:

What size speakers are in the front doors right now? The Crutchfield catalog says 4", but a friend says they are probably 5.25", while another guy swears that they are 6.5".

Also, to replace these front speakers, do I need to take off the door panels?

Again, I'm trying to confirm what size speakers are in the doors in a factory default 1995 Dodge Intrepid ES (without the Infinity system).

Thanks much,

-sMax.

·
Registered
502 Posts
There are indeed 6x9's in the trunk.

Now, as for the doors, mine were stock 4". I don't know if the Inifinity System had larger door speakers (someone else can help me out here). However, you can upgrade them to 5.25's, but be warned if you got larger you'll need to possibly modify the door panel to get them to fit. Also be aware that the bigger the speaker, the deeper the basket towards the door.

And the dash's are 3.5". Some people have installed a third 3.5" into the center of the dash for a "center-speaker" but it's just another speaker anyway.

And the door panel does not need to come off to remove the speakers. Just pop off the metal grill mesh.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes I agree with Wisconsin, I don't have the infinity system and mine are 4" in the door and 3.5 in the dash. (God damn this is hard to do when your druhk). To get the speaker out of the door, simply find a small flat head screwdriver and remove the mesh screen. The speaker is behind it, you don't have to remove the whold door panel.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I have the Infinity system and this is the speaker layout:

Dash
Three 3.5" speakers, including the aforementioned center channel, which in my opinion adds great imaging characteristics.

Door
5.25" speakers. The Infinity ones use a different basket than most aftermarket 5.25's, so some modification has to be done, or a bracket employed. I did the latter.

Rear
6x9" speakers. As with the door speakers, to remove these all you have to do is remove the metal grill. The speakers are held down by four screws that are really easy to get to.

Hope this helps on your upgrade ideas for your non-Infinity system.

[ November 11, 2001: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
502 Posts
NOTE: Not all 6x9's come out that way. I don't have the metal grills covering them, the entire deck does. Thus, to remove mine the whole back seat comes out, then the top deck, then the speakers. Oh, let's not forget the trim panels on the floors as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes i have redone all of the speakers in my trep and those 6x9's are hard as hell to gets out...or maybe i am just dumb, and i am from wisconsin too so dont be hatin. j/k

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the informative responses...

Yeah, it looks like the entire deck covers my back speakers.. So I would have to take out the backseat to get to them. :/

And you guys are saying that the front speakers are 4" by default, but most 5.25" speakers will fit fine? Is that right?

I'd like to get some MB Quart 5.25" for the front, but I don't want to do any "modifications".

Thanks,

- sMax.

·
Registered
530 Posts
so what is it in the doors? 4" or 5 1/4" ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I dunno...there seems to be disagreement. Some say 4", some say 5.25". Does it really vary???

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hey, if your doing the 6x9's and they are under the deck I did this. The first time you remove them you will have to remove the seat. But when I put them back in I put them back in through the trunk. I bolted them under the frame rather than on the frame. That way if you want to change them in the future they are a lot easier to get at, you just have to do it through the trunk and you won't have to remove the seat. Just make sure when you put the screws up through the trunk that they don't go through that flimsy deck board.

·
Registered
530 Posts
They told you already but I can't speak for non infinity cars per say. I haven't heard much from non infinity guys but they should have 4 inch door speakers. Infinity cars had 5.25's stock and like LHSer said had oversized holes that can make it hard on some aftermarket speakers. I have JL's and i had to make a template of the old infinity at work and cut out a hole and mounted the JL inside. I couldn't get a higher grade 5.25 JL cause of magnet size. I even have padding around the template and you can hear the glass just tap the magnet if you shut the door too hard with the window down. So basically Infinity we DID have 5.25 stock and I would assume non-infinity had 4's. I can't say if a non-infin will accept 5.25. All you have to do is take the cover off and look and you can see for yourself quite simple. The 6by9 rear thing is also another infin and non infin deal. Infinity guys had grills on the back deck and non-infinity guys had NO grills.

·
Registered
530 Posts
**** looks like I got the non infinity system. time to replace the speakers. :(

[ November 12, 2001: Message edited by: bat078 ]

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I have 5.25" Alpines in the doors. Thats what in all the books i have looked at is 5.25. Well for non-infinty cars anyways...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Don't forget to put filters on the + line for those dash speakers, Trust me, you'll get way more life out of them, and they will really be crisp and clear. I put some midrange filters on the 4" door speakers. Gives them a little bass but doesn't over do it. If you want good clean clear crisp highs from your system, Use filters.

Oh yeah, the new mp3 players for your car rock! One bad note though, well at least mine, plays in alphabetical order. Not the recorded order...result, maybe 10 seconds between tracks while laser is running around. Seems to tax the motor harder, If I played nothing but mp3 disks. The nice thing is though...150 songs a disk! And homemade so, it's all what you like. I got this one by the way. 219 bucks, no payments till 2003 from Best Buy. Here it is.CDC-Mp3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts