DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the car I got from the old owner he put some cheap ebay headlights. I took them off the car and cleaned them. I found out that the place where the plastic front connects to the housing there is water entering. Do you think I should use silicone to fix it or get new headlights that look like factory. The headlights aren't broken they seem to be that the factory never put enough sealant around it. Did any of you guys who bought aftermarket headlights have this same problem?

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
Edited this post to change everywhere I said "urethane" to "butyl".

Probably good.

The sealer is butyl - really sticky stuff that they heat up and apply a bead and put the two parts together. When it cools, the stuff is really stuck together.

I bought some nice looking headlights called Black Diamonds (inside painted black) on ebay years ago for one of my Concordes. I stored them for a couple of years before installing them, and some insect or mouse residue (AKA peepee) got inside one of them. I stupidly poured a little alcohol in to swish around and rinse them out (I figured alcohol would dry with no residue). Well, the alcohol reacted with the paint. So I bought a roll of butyl stripping, warmed the headlights in an oven, pulled them apart, repainted the insides, then added some butyl to seal them better than they were originally (used more) applied clamps, and stuck them back in the oven to melt the butyl - worked perfectly. I wasn't sure how big the temperature window between melting the butyl and damaging the paint was, but it wasn't a problem.

Might be more trouble than you want to go to. RTV would certainly be an option, but not quite as good as butyl.

·
Premium Member
16,960 Posts
Okay, good to know.
I mistakenly said to use urethane in my previous post. Should have said butyl. I just edited my previous post to say butyl instead of urethane.

Urethane cures, butyl does not. The black gooey stuff that sticks your door panel to the door is butyl. If you've been inside your door, you know how tough and sticky that stuff is!

Just search for headlight butyl, and you'll find where to buy it in a roll - usually black, but you can get it in an almost-white color. Black is probably what your headlight already has.

This guy tells you the right oven time and temperature to get a headlight apart and reseal it, and shoes how it's done:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts