DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need PCM help

I searched and could not find exactly the answer i need....heres my scenario, i have a 01 with a 3.2, 3.89 gears. I have access to a 300M Special PCM. Will this bolt into my car effectively correcting my speedo and also will it remove my speed limiter? Thanks in advance +rep to who can answer me thanks, James

Also i can get the 3.5HO plenum, will this improve anything? Will it fit?

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
3.5HO plenum is the same thing with a different sticker. Assuming that the special pcm will work with your car then it should correct the speedo, not sure about the limiter (don't remember if the special actually had it removed or not). What year is the pcm?

·
Woober Goobers!
50,149 Posts
You'll need the SKIM module and the keys to go with that PCM or it'll shut down the car. After I think 6 starts and you permanantly get shut down.

Reactions: Gorm and Biggs01ES

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a 2000 300m special (I think, not to sure) its my buddies moms, a huge ass tree limb fell on the car. my car has the skim keys already, i have access to the keys. so does this mean i would have to change out my ignition? sounds like a pain. What im really tryin to acheive is killin two birds with one stone, i dont want a speed limiter and i want to correct my speedo in one shot. sounds like im not gonna get so lucky. thanks guys, James

·
Woober Goobers!
50,149 Posts
You don't need to change out the ignition switch. The skim module bolts under the steering column and has a ring that runs around the ignition switch. Swap that and the PCM and use the keys that came from that vehicle also. You should be good to go then. Seeing as you already have SKIM in your ES then you won't need to do any wiring just swap the parts out and use the donor car keys.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ronbo said:
You don't need to change out the ignition switch. The skim module bolts under the steering column and has a ring that runs around the ignition switch. Swap that and the PCM and use the keys that came from that vehicle also. You should be good to go then. Seeing as you already have SKIM in your ES then you won't need to do any wiring just swap the parts out and use the donor car keys.
thanks for the response, so let me get this straight, so the 300m's keys will work in my existing ignition?

yeah i was thinking the same thing, so if this is how im thinkin then you can use another key to start my car 6 times? (long enough to get it to the chop shop)

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Ronbo you're forgetting that if you use the keys from the other car, then you need to change the ignition out with the one from the old car. Not to mention that unless you change out all three locks on the outside of your car you are going to need two keys.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
The other question is will you be getting any other parts from the car? I know I'm interested.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
the car has been scavenged a bit, what are you looking for? shifter is in my car now the whole dash and interior is gone, motor is there, tranny is not. rims are gone

ok i just read your parts you need. I'll look and see what is there. keep in mind a huge ass oak limb fell on the car it is F*cked up. its been through its second winter now with no windshield/side/back windows. Only one window made it, the door panels are ****

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
CaptainMorgan said:
Ronbo you're forgetting that if you use the keys from the other car, then you need to change the ignition out with the one from the old car. Not to mention that unless you change out all three locks on the outside of your car you are going to need two keys.
There's 2 things that could be done. Break open the key, pull out the chip, and secure it near the ignition and start the car with its original key. This wouldn't give the benefit of the sentry key system. The best thing to do would be to buy keys with the transponder chip, have them cut for the trep ignition, and have the chip programmed for the SKIM from the special.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
There's 2 things that could be done. Break open the key, pull out the chip, and secure it near the ignition and start the car with its original key. This wouldn't give the benefit of the sentry key system. The best thing to do would be to buy keys with the transponder chip, have them cut for the trep ignition, and have the chip programmed for the SKIM from the special.
so its just as easy as that.... thanks for the info. as for luisa's question, im curious too, how good of a security is the skim key?

ps i positively positive repped all yall. thanks again

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You would still have to install the module and the antenna of course, but as far as getting the car running after you install it without replacing the ignition and all the door locks, yes.

The sentry key is excellent. It totally prevents the car from starting without the key. It doesn't replace an alarm though. A thief can still break a window and steal stuff out of your car, but that's not nearly as bad as them stealing your car.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Biggs01ES said:
its a 2000 300m special (I think, not to sure)
The 'special' was introduced in 2002. A lot of electronics changed (especially the PCM) between '01 and '02. I think you may have an ECU + TCM rather than a PCM.

Biggs01ES said:
im thinkin then you can use another key to start my car 6 times? (long enough to get it to the chop shop)
No... the engine will shut down (immobilize) after 2 seconds when it doesn't see the proper Sentry key. After 6 tries you're screwed.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Biggs01ES said:
its a 2000 300m special (I think, not to sure) its my buddies moms, a huge ass tree limb fell on the car. my car has the skim keys already, i have access to the keys. so does this mean i would have to change out my ignition? sounds like a pain. What im really tryin to acheive is killin two birds with one stone, i dont want a speed limiter and i want to correct my speedo in one shot. sounds like im not gonna get so lucky. thanks guys, James
Special's didn't come out till 2002.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well shoot i guess its not gonna work, it is for sure a special so it must be an 02, well at least i got the shifter (chrome) for a swap free :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
It's defintely not a special if it had a chrome shifter. Chrome shifters only came on early 2001 300m's.
im goin over there after work and im gonna get the full scoop, I could have sworn it said special on the back badge....

·
Woober Goobers!
50,149 Posts
Yes you'd need to change out the ignition. Forgot about the keys being cut to another ignition. Both cars have a seperate PCM and TCM...might as well swap them both. I was thinking of you using your original SKIM, keys, and ignition until I did some reading in the Body Diagnostics manual. There's a "VIN mismatch" trouble code where the VIN stored in the SKIM and PCM don't match. It goes on to say if the PCM VIN is wrong it can be reprogrammed by the DRB III? I was under the impression that once it's programmed into a PCM it can't be changed..but the manual says otherwise. If it can be done then you can just change the Special PCM into your car and get it reprogrammed. No key changes, no lock changes. That's if the dealer will do it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts