DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I was driving home on 95 South from dinner with the lady in Boston and came across another Silver Special. I casually passed it, paying no mind. Then he casually sped up, pulling right beside, just to check it out. We kinda cruised down 95 for a while, making short sperts back and forth. Then I punched it a bit harder, went by him pretty quick cause I was passing some other traffic. He must've thought I was tryin to show off, so I see him comin up fast about a half mile later. I was doing 65 when he came up behind me, so I went into A/S, dropped to 3rd. He passed me, but I quickly caught up, passed him when I hit about 92 or 93, and was slowly walking him from then on, when I let off at 110, because I was coming up on my exit. Not bad for having a passenger and 200 lbs of stereo in the trunk...

·
Speed is Power
6,683 Posts
Then the deer jumps outta the ditch.

Take it to a track :) lol. Nice kill

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
I have a guy here that i see sometimes comming home from work, silver special like mine, spoiler and all,, sometimes we will get it on,,, its usually a dead heat,, oh well , all in fun

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IntrepidBus IV said:
But can you smoke a regular M w/o all the extra weight of cladding, wheels, etc.!? :D
I'll never know until I take my stereo out. Each box weighs about 50 or 60 pounds, plus the amps and wiring.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
IntrepidBus IV said:
But can you smoke a regular M w/o all the extra weight of cladding, wheels, etc.!? :D
A Special gets 255HP and 258Ft/lb's

A Special should be able to beat a 2002 2003 or 2004 Base Chrysler 300M (PHP or Not) (250HP and 250Ft/lb's)

A Special would have a tougher time beating a 1999 2000 or 2001 Base Chrysler 300M (PHP or Not) (253HP and 255Ft/lb's)

I have definitely noticed the drop in horsepower/torque when I went from the 99 to the 04

·
Registered
431 Posts
IS300M said:
A Special gets 255HP and 258Ft/lb's

A Special should be able to beat a 2002 2003 or 2004 Base Chrysler 300M (PHP or Not) (250HP and 250Ft/lb's)

A Special would have a tougher time beating a 1999 2000 or 2001 Base Chrysler 300M (PHP or Not) (253HP and 255Ft/lb's)

I have definitely noticed the drop in horsepower/torque when I went from the 99 to the 04
I don't think the minute difference in hp and tq is going to matter much one way or another. I suspect most advertised variences were marketing gimmicks anyway. 253 to 250 to 255? Sounds to me they were just playing with numbers to make the Special seem more powerful for its release. That's a whole whopping 3 hp difference at the wheels anyway. The most important factors here are gears, programming, weight, and maybe wheel size. Some magazine tests even concluded the Special was a few ticks slower than the regular M.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
blurred10 said:
I don't think the minute difference in hp and tq is going to matter much one way or another. I suspect most advertised variences were marketing gimmicks anyway. 253 to 250 to 255? Sounds to me they were just playing with numbers to make the Special seem more powerful for its release. That's a whole whopping 3 hp difference at the wheels anyway. The most important factors here are gears, programming, weight, and maybe wheel size. Some magazine tests even concluded the Special was a few ticks slower than the regular M.
If you want to come to MA with your 99, and drive that, then my 04 your welcome to but IMHO the 99 has more power and you can feel the difference.

in 04 the special had 5(2%) more horsepower more and 8(3.2%) ft/lbs more

·
Registered
431 Posts
IS300M said:
If you want to come to MA with your 99, and drive that, then my 04 your welcome to but IMHO the 99 has more power and you can feel the difference.

in 04 the special had 5(2%) more horsepower more and 8(3.2%) ft/lbs more
That's a bit far for me to go just for a test drive! lol :grinyes:
I guess I'm glad mine's a '99! :bgtup:

Even production cars have variances in power from the factory stock. I once bought 2000 Pathfinder SE brand new and totalled it a couple months later. I went out and got the EXACT SAME model -BRAND NEW- and for some reason, it felt less powerful than the first one. Go figure.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A couple weeks ago I was driving home on 95 South from dinner with the lady in Boston and came across another Silver Special. I casually passed it, paying no mind. Then he casually sped up, pulling right beside, just to check it out. We kinda cruised down 95 for a while, making short sperts back and forth. Then I punched it a bit harder, went by him pretty quick cause I was passing some other traffic. He must've thought I was tryin to show off, so I see him comin up fast about a half mile later. I was doing 65 when he came up behind me, so I went into A/S, dropped to 3rd. He passed me, but I quickly caught up, passed him when I hit about 92 or 93, and was slowly walking him from then on, when I let off at 110, because I was coming up on my exit. Not bad for having a passenger and 200 lbs of stereo in the trunk...
How about you race a Graphite Special?:driving:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts