DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knew how to shut off the govenor on a 1996 Trep? I just start having fun and the damn thing kicks out at 106 or so. PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP :p
Thanks

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Weird.. mine cuts out at 112mph...

·
Registered
169 Posts
The only way to get rid of the speed limiter is to modift the PCM. Either superchips (which you can't use in a '96) or get a PCM from the sport treps that came with michelin tires, they dont have a limiter. Other than that your SOL.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
the sport doesn't have a speed limiter??? WOOHOO

·
Registered
219 Posts
Speed govenor kills you at 115Mph. Variances in tires and gauges show differently. I die at 116 according to my speedo. Yeah thanks Warlord, rub it in! Truth is, unless you change the PCM, you really are S O L. I've been looking for a 94 PCM for my '95 ES to solve this, dilema. It does kill the fun doesn't it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Will the 94 PCM work? OR are they generally the same computers with different codes. I want to buy that superjet chip for my car but dont think they make em for the year! :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
You mean to tell me that these pcm's are not crackable? Hasn't someone figured out to disable the limiter within the pcm without replacing the whole thing? Gimmi a laptop I'll figure it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have actually tested my 95 ES at it runs past 160 the pointer just goes down, but i dont lose any power and nothing shuts off. You get tunnel vision at 160mph

·
Registered
219 Posts
E-mailed ASEchips last night about a chip for the '95s. Guess what? They got it! It'll cost about 3 bills to get it though. And you have to send them your PCM. They do claim a decent power boost though: 8% increase in HP, and a 10% increase of tourque. Quick math:214hp stock. X 8% = 17.12 + 214 = 231.12
Figure if you have any other stuffdone you could resonably start at 220 hp and go from there.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My Sport cuts out at 107. I have had it do that several times. An Es sport may not, but mine a 97 standard sport does. Never gotten to take my dad's es out to see if it does or not.

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: jnutz ]

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
mine goes well past 120, intrepid NM u have had yours to 160mph? or is that a typo

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine 94 ES cuts out at 115 exactly. I've probably done this...100 or more times. It's a really party killer to have it shut down in the middle of a race. Once I was on the highway next to another identical intrepid. We both floored it, ran up to 115, hit the limiter and slowed down in unison, then did it again. It was pretty comical. Superchips will modify the pre-95 computers. They can actually do the later ones, but legal action on the part of chrysler has made it so they can't legaly do it anymore. If someone else is modifying them, then perhaps you will all have a solution. My solution was to get another car that has no limiter. This one does 172 redlined in fifth :)

Scott

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Originally posted by Intrepid NM:
I have actually tested my 95 ES at it runs past 160 the pointer just goes down, but i dont lose any power and nothing shuts off. You get tunnel vision at 160mph
So what major mods have you done to acheive 160mph? An R/T can only dyno a little past 150mph, let alone do that on the road with drag.

·
Registered
973 Posts
silverghost - go to asechips webpage and you may rethink their claims. The dyno "charts" are hand drawn! On another forum there have been no (0) good things said about them.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
mine shuts off at 109....very annoying for having highway "fun"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts