DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I compiled all the tips I used to streamline XP and improve my boot time (I hate siting waiting for the computer :cussing: )

These all worked for me (I have XP Pro) and I now am able to reboot in 42 seconds! (this I timed from pressing Restart in the start menu untill I had a fully useable windows) This is also on a 4 year old P3 1mhz PC.

As usual try at your own risk, I have a simple setup so I don't know if any uncommon configurations will have a problem with these tricks.

Speed up XP Boot.txt
Speed up XP Shutdown.txt

Here are MS Office .doc files to download:
Speed up XP Boot.doc
Speed up XP Shutdown.doc

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
If you are *really* serious about XP, you should start frequenting this web site:

http://www.msfn.org

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks for the compilation of tips... i just cut 12 seconds off my boot time.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yep, I recently formatted, and installed SP2 on a old Compaq :flush: 600mhz pII, and now with 2 cramped hard drives in it, I still boot in about 20 seconds or less. I have 3g machines that take longer :icon_conf

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could be a hidden, system file in the root of the drive xp is on, or check the root of all your other drives/partitions. Make sure you back it up, your computer won't boot if you screw it up (that would be pretty hard to do though, but if it happens just boot to dos and replace the origional)

Glad to hear these worked for others! I love instant access to windows!. To give credit where it's due I got many tips from sites dealing with "carputers", (such as Mp3car.com)

·
Registered
545 Posts
-Umm... My timeout is set to 5 already. Also, the /Noexecute=optin thing isnt there either. I'm pretty impressed with my boot time anyways.

-Would anyone know why, during my splash screen, I don't have the option to show my bios settings? That bugs me. Normally it says which button to press, and I'm 99% sure on Gateways it is F2, but it doesn't give me the option (nor the time) and I've tried every button on the keyboard! I can't load up my bios!

Thanks,
-BaTmAn

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
on my gateway I just mash repeatedly on the function keys from right when I press the power button... :00000024: umm... not the most profesional way to do it, but it works! (I don't even know which key does it, its in the first 8 anyway!)

The /Noexecute=optin switch is added by Sp2 and isn't necessary to use the /noguiboot switch

·
Registered
545 Posts
-Haha, you're right it is one of the first 8 Function buttons! I mashed them all at the Gateway splash screen and Bios popped up! I set it to check my Harddrive first and I noticed 2 unneccessary screens didn't pop up anymore. I guess it was the two screens checking my cd-rom and my floppy disk (which I disabled because it doesn't work). Now I just have to figure out how to get it not to load up in the Administrator on Bootup. I want it to go to the Welcome Screen. (The computer is used by my two litle brothers, my mother, and me)

Thanks!
-BaTmAn

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This should work: (I don't want to try it becuse I finally got mine to skip all this at boot!)

Control Pannel -> User Accounts -> "Change the way users log on and off" ->
check "use the welcome screen" (if it's not already)

Go to Run -> type control userpasswords2
check "users must enter a user name and password..."

That should make the welcome screen come up and require passwords for each user. (If thats what you were wanting)

·
Registered
545 Posts
-Hmmm... I would just have to make everyone passwords. I don't know if they'll like that. I thought about that.

Thanks,
-BaTmAn

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have XP you must have a boot.ini! do you have "show hidden files" checked and "hide system files" unchecked in folder options? here is some info on boot.ini

And BaTmAnCHRS.... you can just use a blank for the password (don't type anything in) and all they will have to do is type/select the user name.

·
Registered
545 Posts
-Romeo, go to run and type "msconfig" without the quotes. If it runs a program skip to the next step, if not go to a download site and download msconfig.

-Run the program and you will be able to get rid of unneccessary applications that run at startup. (Selective Startup options)Not only does it speed your bootup time, it also speeds up computer performance, because it gets rid of unneccessary files that take up RAM. There is also a tab marked "boot.ini" in msconfig, there you can check the "/noguiboot" option, and it writes it in the file without you having to do it.

-BaTmAn

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
it wasnt either one of those, but i did have something else checked.... thanks, at least it told me where to look... and i found it

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
BaTmAnCRHS said:
-Romeo, go to run and type "msconfig" without the quotes. If it runs a program skip to the next step, if not go to a download site and download msconfig.

-Run the program and you will be able to get rid of unneccessary applications that run at startup. (Selective Startup options)Not only does it speed your bootup time, it also speeds up computer performance, because it gets rid of unneccessary files that take up RAM. There is also a tab marked "boot.ini" in msconfig, there you can check the "/noguiboot" option, and it writes it in the file without you having to do it.

-BaTmAn
on the startup tab... what can i lose?

pctspk
nvcpl
nerocheck
sndmon
ccapp

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My suggestions: (it's up to you though) Search Here for info on each startup item.

pctspk = Used for modems based upon PC-TEL chipsets. Normally used for some Voice and Speakerphone functions and also for some Power management options. If you remove it you may not be able to use any of those functions
Suggestion: Disable

Nvcpl = Intializes the clock and memory settings on nVidia based graphics cards. Disable if you overclock your card
Suggestion = Enable

Nerocheck = Checks for updates to the Nero Burning ROM application. Additionally, according to the NERO manufacturer it \"constantly checks for known drivers that can conflict with Nero/Nero Express/NeroVision Express software. And when you print or save the Nero log file, you will see this list of drivers that this program has found at the bottom of the Nero Log file.
Suggestion: Disable

Sndmon = Part of Norton Antivirus - Detects when you are online so updates can be downloaded.
Suggestion = Disabled
note: sndmon16.exe is added by the forbot worm (check thats not it)

Ccapp = do a search on that one, several variations are worms but some are legit.

·
Registered
711 Posts
only if it was known and Norton had a patch against it, then yes... Do you leave your computer on 24/7? because you can have it update every night, when your sleeping..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts