DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warlord187 said:
I'll take the SE gear ratio over the R/T gear ratio any day. I'd like to change to SE gears if it didn't effect the odometer (the speedometer I can calculate in my head).
I'm not sure if anyone is aware of this, but you can install a 1998-2001 TCM from a trep SE and it will transmit the correct Speedo/Odo readings. You can only do this with the years that the PCM and TCM were separate units (1998-2001 I think). Once again, credit goes to Shadowvox6 for his ingenuity. Shadowvox experimented with this and it works. After his experiment, I found one as well from a 1999 base intrepid and installed it without any codes. Works like a charm! I can tell it works just by monitoring the rpm's before and after. The rpm's now read higher at any given speed! Autostick was not affected since the speedo actually controls autostick. The TCM's are very adaptive. I know Shadowvox has more SE TCM's if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Tom made a post here about that and some of the OG Trep guys let him know :farmer: it was 'old news' at least to them but probably not widely known as I think their discovery came from adding auto stick. Which I doubt many of us m guys would look into since it is standard on our cars.

Glad to see another m'er benefit from this though!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I've been here for awhile and I never heard about it until Tom's post. I doubt it was old news regardless of what people said because not too long ago there was a thread discussing the options and none of them chimed in. I wanted to do this but wouldn't until I could get the speedo to read correctly. I now plan on putting the gears in next spring.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
It's in the area around the underside of the driver's side headlight. They're pretty cheap because they came with the 2.7s, and the yards are full of them.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have to agree with 00r/t's post. I've had 3.89 gears in my R/T for almost a year now. I researched every post I could find back before I bought the gears. I even got input from Don (RedBaron) on the issue.

NO ONE mentioned the SE TCM swap out. Tom's post was the first I heard. Since then, I've seen the post saying its old news -which isn't here or there really. But I think Tom does deserve a lot of credit for re-discovering the work around.

I've bought one from him also. Should be installed shortly. I'm hoping its the total fix it seems to be.

-Dan

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
I have 3 TCM's in stock currently...
2 from 1999 2.7's
1 from a 2001 2.7

I have tested all 3 years (99-2001) and they all work. In the 98 MY...they had 2 seperate TCM's, one for the autostick, and one for the non-autostick. starting in MY 99, they only produced one TCM, then from 99-2001....they made the one TCM. with the change in the computers in MY 02, the TCM was incorporated into the ECM.

So, the 99-2001 TCM is the best solution to correct the speedometer. I have them for $55 shipped. Believe it or not, I had mine for over a year before I put it in my car....I got it in a whim....thinking if there was ever a way to stick it in....I would. After conferring with a couple of members, I decided to try it. It worked. I know it worked because on my way out to the KC meet last month, I got pulled over...I had my cruise set for just a tick under 75....I was clocked doing 74. And, I didn't get a ticket...
Proof enough for me!!!

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
1 99 2.7 TCM has been sold

I currently now have 2

- 1 1999 2.7 TCM
- 1 2001 2.7 TCM

Get em while you can!!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
:( No go for an '02. I have a 'Special' PCM on the shelf but that'll create more problems than I care to address for just a speedo correction. I'm gonna have to go for the dealer 'pinion select' or a yellow box.

·
Registered
127 Posts
how much of a difference are we talking about for the correction?

·
Registered
566 Posts
former integra driver said:
how much of a difference are we talking about for the correction?
~= 6.22% differnce between actual and displayed, when swapping out the gears, but with the analog display we also have the 'human error' factor to consider.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Just a note, I have one 1999 2.7 TCM still available.

I had incorrectly stated that I had the 01 TCM in stock still.
That had been spoken for, and I corrected the post.

Thanks

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Newsflash....
After a chance encounter at my normal yard....
I found another 2001 2.7 TCM

So currently, I have:

- 1 1999 2.7 TCM
- 1 2001 2.7 TCM

$55 shipped

·
Registered
1 Posts
Props to Tom (shadowvox6)

I met up with Tom tonight, picked up the 99 2.7 TCM he mentioned above. Put it in my 99ES with the 3.89 gears in it (once I figured out where the lower bolt holding the TCM in place is :) ).

The car drives perfectly, no codes, autostick works great, as does cruise. Before (with the stock 3.2 TCM), cruising on the highway at 2500 RPM the speedo showed approx. 80mph. After installing the 2.7 TCM, it shows approx 75mph (80/75= about 1.06), so it works as advertised. I'm going to miss doing the 6% math.:icon_cry:

Thanks so much Tom, it was great meeting you. To everybody else, Tom is a stand-up guy (but I'm sure most of you already knew that), it was a pleasure doing business with him. :bgtup:

Warren

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Warren,
Thanks for the kind words. It was awesome talking to you about your CSX...and our cars in general. I am also glad that the TCM worked for you. Now, we gotta work on getting that ES into the 12's!!!

You ever need anything, lemme know.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
dmondeac said:
TOm,
How about an update on B&G re-programming of the PCM?
You may not like it, but here is it...
This is quoted from me over on the 300M Forum:
This was 11/29/06 BTW:
It didn't.
I still have one here.
I just don't know what to say.
I would hope I had nothing to do with it...but good grief.

OMG...well, the car feels good with the B&G, I just can't stand being told tall tales about performance gains. But let's look at the numbers...

April 30th, I ran a 15.23 with the stock ECM
Nov 3rd. at the same track, the car ran a 15.09 with the B&G programming
Nov. 18th, the car ran a 15.01 with the B&G programming, and Don driving.

That is a broad overview of the numbers....certainly the numbers are skewed by the weather at the various times...In April, it was in the upper 50's and lower 60's. Nov. 3rd, the temps were in the 30's with high pressure. Nov 18th, the temps were in the upper 40's to low 50's with ok pressure, and no track prep. There are other variables to look at, but I think I have mentioned enough to show that the numbers look good. Once I get the revision back...we will have to wait until February to see what difference have been made. But typically, .15 of a second out of the computer alone on a N/A car is good...I think.
This was today 11/30/06

Well,
I just got off the phone with a good friend of mine that does tons of HP stuff in the Detroit area. He currently works at Livernois Motorsports (http://www.livernoismotorsports.com) He and I talked about Dave Kasper, and B&G. He pretty much told me that from what he heard about him, that he was "shady", and did little more than flash with the latest code, and did minor tweaks with it. He was weary of hearing that he had my ECM....
Told me that I should "be careful"

This is a very reputable source, and someone I have known for 4 years, he tuned my Grand Prix GT, and did an excellent job!!

You guys take it for what it's worth.
Maybe the computer needs nothing more than the basic tweaks!!
After hearing through another member that KB has stopped doing ECM's for the 3.5 cars...I guess we have no other choice..

http://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12556&start=60&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

1 - 20 of 47 Posts