DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I might post the progression of a spoiler install for my 2004 SE.
Note: I am not a auto body mechanic, but have some experience. (enough to get in trouble) LOL but if worse comes to worse then off to a auto body shop it will go.

Bought the piece from spoiler central on ebay. It is a California Dream Custom. (Taurus Style I think I heard someone here say) $59.00 shipped. It came completely bare ABS plastic.

First step was to clean with alchohol to get rid of any release agents from the molding process. I like the individual wipes because they are small and using several new ones during the cleaning prevents recontamination from the rag. The wipes from dupli-color work good but are expensive. After cleaning a good sanding to remove all mold marks, dings and imperfections is needed. You can sand with 100 grit at this point followed by 180 then 220 to get rid of most problems. As you sand you can see the shine from low spots dissapear.

After sanding is complete, a good wiping to remove dust and follow by wiping with the alcohol wipes to remove hand oils. Follow this with a tack cloth.

I have painted ABS boats before and had good results without adhesion promoter so I will try it again. The nice folks at the auto supply place said to use it but I will try without.
It is cold here in Ohio right now and the temp in the garage is at the low end of the paint recommendation so spraying in thin coats is mandantory and allowing long time to dry. Here is after the first coat using a sandable primer and the primer has been sanded to reveal any imperfections. No filler was needed as the spoiler came to me with no dings I can see at this point.

Sanded down to reveal minor areas that need work.

I masked the bottom to prevent the mounting holes from clogging. Dont think this was absolutly required as the screws are pretty agressive.

I also made up a stand to minimize scatches when working on it. Will have to remask. Here after applying second coat of sandable primer.

Things look so good when wet. More later after this coat dries.

Feel free to comment!! :icon_cool

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Wow, Doug, you are the busy boy aren't you! All kinds of new toys in and on your Trep lately. Nice work, btw~! Can't wait to see the end result.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dodgaholic said:
Wow, Doug, you are the busy boy aren't you! All kinds of new toys in and on your Trep lately. Nice work, btw~! Can't wait to see the end result.
Thanks!!! I wanted to start the damplifier but the roller did not ship so.......Yes Chet, I have not felt good about a car for some years now and I really enjoy doing it! I love my Trep, but one does have to be ready for failure and the cost if something goes wrong. It is satisfying doing it yourself.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The package says California Dream by Auto Aftermarket Concepts. I'm hoping it is the same as 00r/t.mopar.muscle's and Intrep_ED's.;) SWEET!!!!

After sandin on the first coat of primer I found a couple imperfections

Another coat of Primer and a sanding with 400 grit paper should take care of it though.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Intrep_ED said:
That looks like the same spoiler I have, but without the LEDs. Nice!
I thought you had one Intrep_ED!!! I could not find a photo of yours with it in it though....(I did not look really hard) LOL It was yours that inspired me.
I almost decided to paint it black after you had it on yours Ed, but alas, I am going with Lt Almond Pearl. (gold) lol

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chet, you must be psychic! LOL After applying a thin first coat of final color I found it. (How could I have missed it?) So using a little filler..... It is drying now.

The first coat of color is very thin.

Dry time for the filler says 20 minutes. Gotta be longer at 65 degrees!!! Oh well got time to surf DI.net!!!

·
Registered
19,566 Posts
Dudley said:
I thought you had one Intrep_ED!!! I could not find a photo of yours with it in it though....(I did not look really hard) LOL It was yours that inspired me.
I almost decided to paint it black after you had it on yours Ed, but alas, I am going with Lt Almond Pearl. (gold) lol
Kewl, can't wait to see the final pics with it on your whip. Good MOD!

I think it might look good if you had the bottom grey colored body like in your sig, and the spoiler the same color. That would be different.

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, back to square 1. I had to completely strip it and resand. It is not as flawless as I thought. Filler only loosened the primer and made it gummy. Got it sanded and a new first coat of primer done tonight. Kinda bummed, all that work. Oh well......

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, been working on sanding it down and recovering from the filler softening the paint. The more I sanded, the worse it got.

After 3 more coats of primer, and 3 color coats this is what I got. Wet sanded between color coats and it is pretty smooth now. Will try to clear coat it later today if it dries enough. Still cold in the garage though even with the door to the house open and a small electric heater in the garage. It is only 30 degrees outside and the garage just doesnt seem to want to heat up.
So far I been patient and gone slow building up layers as it dries ever so SLOW!!! LOL

Finally, the last coat of color and no scratches in sight!!! LOL

Cant wait until I can put it on the car!!! :heh_heh:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Looks nice! I picked one up for mine last week at the yard... just wish it was warmer out right now.

Reactions: Duds

·
Registered
22,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
micholob said:
Looks nice! I picked one up for mine last week at the yard... just wish it was warmer out right now.
I cant either, I just had new GoodYears put on my summer rims and cant wait till I can put them on. I see them every time I pull in to the garage! :frown: But its coming!!!!

Here (I hope) is the last pic before the install! Sprayed 3 coats of clear coat. (this one is still wet) After it is good and dry, need to wet sand with 1000 then 2000 sandpaper. Followed by 3M polish. It may look better than the car its on. :icon_bigg

1 - 20 of 76 Posts