DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might be part of some other thread, but I'm sorry I'm feeling lazy, and don't really feel like looking for it.

Do the spoilers help at all with any performance for the Intrepids (R/T), or it is purely cosmetic at this point?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Spoilers do help in performance but you have to be going over a 100MPH. The amount of downforce at sub-100 speeds doesn't do anything so it's more or less cosmetic.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm trying to decide if the eclipse spoiler look would be right for me. I love the intrepid look without the spoiler, but now I'm wondering if it would make it look better. I haven't seen one on a black R/T yet to judge. hmmm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm just guessing at this but based on the design I don't see how it would have any effect at all.

I mean it looks like the air would just flow over and under the spoiler thus creating more drag and less downforce.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I have the eclipse style rear spoiler on My 2000 R/T it does have more of a curve than the Dodge spoiler. I have had my R/T up to 120mph 2 or 3 times. I didnt really feel the rear spoiler at all. But they do look nice.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
yeah, only for looks is forsure. But on something else about the car, I once passed my buddy and I was doing about 90MPH, and he said that the car looked alot lower then normal.. would this be due to the amount of wind pushing down on the car?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
you buddy is just seein things. a spoiler that size in the draft of our cars really does little, if any.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you want some read downforce put some concrete blocks in the trunk.

OK OK I did overhear "while working onsite working on a computer" that her husband put several concrete blocks in his tunk in a 60's Impala to give it that "low rider" look.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Would ya' really want downforce in a front wheel drive? I actually had a ricer debate me with the fact that his spoiler (about 12" off the top of his trunk) helped him control his car on some of our country roads. I couldn't help but laugh, nearly pissed myself too. :eek:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Originally posted by bigdaddy:
Would ya' really want downforce in a front wheel drive? I actually had a ricer debate me with the fact that his spoiler (about 12" off the top of his trunk) helped him control his car on some of our country roads. I couldn't help but laugh, nearly pissed myself too. :eek:
Only reason would be for extremely hard cornering if your front end is still gripping and your rear is sliding all over. But you would have to still be going ridiculously fast around the corner to get the downforce to help.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I personally dont think that a spoiler (especially those huge ricer ones) do anything for a street car, except maybe cause extra drag. That's why in nascar at the short tracks you never hear them talking about spoiler adjustments. I'm with bigdaddy, and would probably laugh myself into convulsions if someone told me their spoiler made them corner better.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
even if the spoiler helped plant the back end wouldn't that just uneven the balance and make the car understeer? because the front wouldn't have a sufficient amount of downforce and it would walk all over the road, like if you overload a pickup and drive it, it's hard to steer it straight. if this was the case wouldn't a front (ground) spoiler be necessary to get the front end trakcing correctly? and if you had to do all this, wouldn't the benefits be outweighed by added weight and, moreso, added drag???

dumb ricer

·
Registered
427 Posts
A perfect example of this would be a world of outlaws sprint car (for any dirt racin' fans out there) These cars don't weigh much but can chuck out between 900-1000 hp. With that much torque going to the rear of the car, they have a small spoiler on the front to give them some control (albeit not much)

·
Registered
9 Posts
If anything, they try to design the spoiler to have minimal to no effect on the vehicle's computer-designed aerodynamics. I'm sure that when DCX was doing computer models of the Intrepid, they did it without spoiler.

In the manual for my dad's grand-prix, it mentions that you should not install non-factory spoilers or roof racks because it would disrupt the car's designed aerodynamics. Similarly, the MoPar brochure says something about how the spoiler is designed to preserve the car's aerodynamic properties while looking pretty.

Originally posted by bigdaddy:
A perfect example of this would be a world of outlaws sprint car (for any dirt racin' fans out there) These cars don't weigh much but can chuck out between 900-1000 hp. With that much torque going to the rear of the car, they have a small spoiler on the front to give them some control (albeit not much)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts