DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From InsideLine.com:

2008 Dodge Avenger aiming to steal Fusion, Camry buyers

Although the Hemi-powered Charger sedan and Magnum wagon attract most of the attention at Dodge dealers right now, the 2008 Dodge Avenger should get its fair share of looks when it goes on sale early next year.

Smaller than the Charger sedan, the Avenger will replace the outdated Stratus in the Dodge lineup. It won't have Hemi power, but judging by our most recent spy photos the Avenger will at least look like the Charger. Up front it uses upturned headlights to frame a crosshair grille while the deep front air dam gets larger air intakes and foglights. Judging by the strategically placed camouflage on the prototype, the Avenger will also share the Charger's unique C-pillar styling. In back, a set of squared-off taillights similar to the Charger finish it off.

The front-wheel-drive Avenger will share its platform with the Chrysler Sebring and next-generation Mitsubishi Galant. Engine choices will be similar to the current model, a base four-cylinder shared with the new Dodge Caliber, a midrange 2.7-liter V6 and a top-of-the-line R/T model with a 3.5-liter V6. With 250 hp and 250 pound-feet of torque, the 3.5-liter V6 would put the Avenger right in line with current midsize sedans like the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord and Ford Fusion. A new six-speed automatic is expected to be used with the 3.5-liter V6 while the 2.7-liter V6 and 2.4-liter engines will most likely get a four-speed auto.

Like most cars in the class, there will be three trim levels with varying degrees of equipment. The Mopar heads over at allpar.com have a complete rundown on the expected content levels, but there's nothing too surprising. Base trim will get you the usual stuff like air conditioning, a CD stereo and keyless entry while midgrade models will add ABS, aluminum interior trim and 17-inch wheels. The top-level equipment list includes a Boston Acoustics sound system, 18-inch wheels and leather seating. Expect to see all the official information on the 2008 Dodge Avenger revealed in the next six months with a possible debut at the Los Angeles auto show in November.

Upturned headlights and a crosshair grille are visible even with the heavy camouflage.

Unlike the upcoming Chrysler Sebring, the wheel arches on the Avenger remain every bit as pronounced as the current Stratus. Squared-off taillights in back are more evidence of the Charger's influence.

Although its size won't change much from Dodge's current midsize Stratus sedan, the Avenger looks as though it will have a much different look thanks to door pillars that mimic the Charger's distinctive shape.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks like an Altima.

But so does the Fusion.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
it looks like ass IMO. Very small and what an ugly bug deflector LOL>... im j/k i know its a cover to hide the front and rear from the public. It just sounds funny to say that HEHE....

i wouldnt buy it, like the current charger better or the 300c.

Good find strongt, BTW i got my moms car fixed. It was the timing belt idler and tensioner. Basically a timing belt change, well sorta since the cam gears and cam shafts are spring loaded so i didnt lock the gears just the cams. Sorta had to realign them. Pretty scary when it wont start but after a few trials and readjustment to the belt it runs like new.

Thanks for ur help.

Ciprian

·
Registered
683 Posts
An option for a 3.5? Did the stratus ever come with a 3.5? I thought the R/T stratus was a 2.7...

Small cars are not my thing but I think it'd be cool to see one with such a big engine in it.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
These pictures have been posted here already, and word round the campfire is that the new avenger will have the 3.5 as an engine option.

·
Registered
715 Posts
looks like the current impalas. i don't likey...
on a side note, is chrysler/dodge switching to boston acoustics for their audio, and giving infinity the boot????

·
Registered
518 Posts
95LHS said:
An option for a 3.5? Did the stratus ever come with a 3.5? I thought the R/T stratus was a 2.7...

Small cars are not my thing but I think it'd be cool to see one with such a big engine in it.
correct. The Stratus R/T only had the 2.7. A 3.5 in that puppy might be fun. Kinda like the Altima with the 3.5.

·
Registered
510 Posts
didn't the stratus's come with a 3.0 or 3.2 - for some reason i thought I seen some with that size of an engine...

i might be wrong...

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
2-door Stratus' (Mitsu Eclipse) came with 200HP Mitsu 3.0L's.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Seems like American car styling is kinda going backwards.... I mean the cars went from boxy in the late 70's to more aerodynamic starting in the eighties.....now they are going back to boxy again. Compared to the Intrepid, the cd of the Magnum, 300c & Charger isn't very good. Why put all that power in a car and make it like a brick?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
cobra65 said:
Seems like American car styling is kinda going backwards.... I mean the cars went from boxy in the late 70's to more aerodynamic starting in the eighties.....now they are going back to boxy again. Compared to the Intrepid, the cd of the Magnum, 300c & Charger isn't very good. Why put all that power in a car and make it like a brick?
Chrysler cars have looked like bricks since...idk 1964? The 80's; yes, still bricks, just smaller (did you forget the K cars, the Caravan, and so on) The LH platform is pretty much there first car in a looonnggg time that wasnt a brick. I'm with you tho, i dont like.

·
Registered
279 Posts
sneke_eyez said:
eh, i dont think it looks too bad, a mini Charger would be kinda neat to own
That's what I thought....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts