DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine front brake pads squeaking like crazy in warm days, almost new, what to do, can I fix it or I have to buy new???

·
Registered
280 Posts
Brake pads.

Cheap and easy fix. Did you replace them yourself? If so, remove the brake caliper (2 x 10mm bolts) check the rotor to make sure it's OK while your down there, remove the bads (outer one first, apply some 'squeal' treatment to the outside of the pad (metal) let it dry for however long (read the instructions) and replace. Use a caliper spreader to push the pistion back in (cost$4 from Discount Auto parts) and re-insert the pads. Normally, the squeal is the vibration effect of the caliper piston contacting the metal side of the pad.;)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Squeal like crazy?? Please define. Do they squeal every time you hit the brakes? Only when you slam on the brakes? Only when you ease on the brakes? Right from the first brake application, or do they have to "warm up" before they start to squeal? Did you replace or turn the rotors when you replaced the pads?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Well Warlord, you don't know anything about brakes do you??? :p

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hey Warlord (or anyone else), have you seen the commercial for those rotor resurfacing product. You replace the pads with a pad that looks like it has sandpaper (tho its probably not). You then accelerate up to a certian speed, hit the brakes and it grinds out a new surface. Looks convincing. Whats your take?(if you've seen it)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
creepingdeath said:
Hey Warlord (or anyone else), have you seen the commercial for those rotor resurfacing product. You replace the pads with a pad that looks like it has sandpaper (tho its probably not). You then accelerate up to a certian speed, hit the brakes and it grinds out a new surface. Looks convincing. Whats your take?(if you've seen it)
I actually haven't seen or heard about that. I have a hard time believing something like that would straighten out any major warped rotor.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have a similar problem after changing my pads for the first time.
I had the rotors turned at O'reily's and I don't think they did that good of job. Think I'll try new rotors and see if that helps.

I have always used the Permatex anti squeal stuff and had good luck.

What I really wanted to respond to was the post for pushing the pistion back in when replacing the pads.

If you have anti lock breaks, you never want to push the pistion in without opening the bleeder first and clamping the rubber line off is possible. Never push the fluid back through the anti lock pump and controls. Your asking for troubles from the crud in the lines messing up the system.

DR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts