DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this issue that came up out of nowhere, everytime I have the car in drive and my foot on the brake (and the car isn't moving) their is this incessent squeaking...when the car is in neutral, it goes away, but when the car is in drive and up against a wooden block (in my garage) the squeaking is still there. Any ideas? Also, My car has a rough idle, it's hunting (when it's cold or warm, it doesn't matter). I just want to go into my mechanic with a decent idea of what I'm dealing with because I have a warranty but I don't want him to tell me nothing is wrong. Please help! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,755 Posts
Does the sound change pitch and/or start and stop with how hard you push on the brake pedal? If so, it's probably your brake booster leaking a little vacuum.

I had the same thing and have read several posts of others with the same noise. If that's the case, it's not a big problem, but your booster will be somewhat weak with reduced capacity - mostly just a nuisance (the noise). I put up with mine doing it for over a year (did it only in warmer weather, never in cold weather), and finally replaced my booster this past weekend - problem solved. New booster has a lot more reserve.

If it's not the booster, I'm thinking it is some other vacuum related problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Brakes, ehh?

It's funny you should mention a brake-related problem, because I have noticed, and others have commented while driving my vehicle, that the brakes seem kinda soft and squishy. A friend thought it might be air in the lines but I hadn't gotten around to checking it? Do you think these two problems could be connected? If so, did you replace the brake line? I don't know if it's covered under my warranty, if it isn't, how hard do you think it is to replace? Thanks.

PS: I'll have to check the pitch change the next time I drive my car. (I'm at work now)

·
Premium Member
16,755 Posts
I'm thinking two unrelated problems, but I could be wrong.

If you have air in the lines, it's a simple matter of bleeding the lines. There is a procedure for doing that. Just requires two people, a fresh (previously unopened) can of DOT3 brake fluid, a small jar, and some 1/4" diameter plastic tubing to fit on the bleeders. Anyway, I'd fix that problem (air in the lines) first, then see where you are with the other problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, will check and get back to you (hopefully within the week) with the results of the first test. By the way, should I bleed the back brakes as well? The rears are discs (as I'm sure you're well aware), but my friend said I won't even notice if they have air in the lines...I don't know too much about brakes to know if it's one complete system, or if I have to bleed the line at each individual brake. Let me know. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,755 Posts
Kanaz said:
thanks, will check and get back to you (hopefully within the week) with the results of the first test. By the way, should I bleed the back brakes as well? The rears are discs (as I'm sure you're well aware), but my friend said I won't even notice if they have air in the lines...I don't know too much about brakes to know if it's one complete system, or if I have to bleed the line at each individual brake. Let me know. Thanks.
Yes - bleed the back brakes. I think your friend is incorrect.

There are two separate pressure ports coming out of the master cylinder. One of the two lines (ports) tees (splits) to go to both the right rear and left front. The other separately pressurized port goes to the other two brakes (left rear and right front). If one line ruptures, you have the other line still intact so you at least have one rear and one front brake still working (required by law). Anything that affects (disrupts) pressure in a given line will affect both brakes on that line - and that includes air in a line. IOW, if you have air in one line, both the rear and the front brake on that line will be affected equally.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's the master cylinder

I just had it done after about two years of the brakes feeling mushy or the car not stopping when it should. Soon after I got the master cylinger rebuilt the car was perfect again. It wasnn't cheap.

Mase

1 - 7 of 7 Posts