DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some squeaks coming from my car so i decided to get my front brake pads and rotors changed. But the squeaks still come everytime i slow down, speed up and when i go over small bumps... anybody have a clue what could be the problem? and any solutions?

·
Registered
76 Posts
How many Miles? Need more of a description..... How, when, Sound, constant squeak, quite, loud, rotating squeking sound.... Anything you could give us.... With what you have given me, it would be anything in the front suspension. well actully, it could be even a loose/ungreased pady part..... More than likely your struts though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its got about 120,000 km. its a pretty loud squeak that comes from the front end. yeah it seems to be a rotating squeak but that i may be unsure of.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is it just when you step on the brakes, or when does it squeak? Did you do the brake job by yourself, or did you have someone else do it. What type of brake pads are you using? Organic, Ceramic, Mettalic, or Semi-metallic?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it happens sometimes when i hit the brakes. It happens mostly when im slowing down when my foot is off the gas and not on the brake pad.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Can be that DAMN, Plate behind the front rotors, (I think its called a, Backing plate Shield for the rotors on the bottom rear section, check them on both sides, I had this issue plenty of times. I actually Pulled them way back, so that way they dont scrape again, I dont know what bends these things in, but I fixed it, so Hope this helps out dude!, ;)

~LUIS~

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Ummmmm, struts? My rear strut went out and Chrysler replaced it under warranty.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Avenger said:
Ummmmm, struts? My rear strut went out and Chrysler replaced it under warranty.
Did you take it to the dealer with aftermarket rims on?, and they didnt say anything about it? I think you took her in with her O.E.M.'s on rite? ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
What about corners? does it gt worse around corners, and if soo, what direction is the worst? It is not the brakes.... The Dust shield (that thin sheet metal on the back side of your brake rotor)... not likely - that would be a constant squeak, really high pitched and loud. Struts.....Maybe, but not my guess as of yet. I am starting to think it is as simple as your front Sway bar or you lower control arm bars are simply not lubed properl. Maybe your bushings are dried out or your sway bar cradles are dried out..... But answer my question about corners first. And if it is worse around corners, it is more than likely your sway bar, but could be you front struts, or strut mounts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
luisa said:
wheel bearings...
Possibly, it is about the right time...... Plus it seems to be a rotating squeak.... But there is really no easy way to check that. But if you do get the urge to check it out. Take off the wheel, and in the center of the rotor there will be a large nut, I think it is a 1 7/8", should be a simple removal. There might be a Dust cap over the nut, a Common screw driver will pop it right off. Just check in there and look for dust, dirt, good grease coverage, wear indications anything aout of the ordinary. But if you are not sure about your abilities don't go to far with it. Repacking the Bearings is not a hard process if you know what to do.

Anyways, went off on a random thought..... The easiest thing to start at is the Sway bars. Just jack up the whole front end of the car and put it on jack stands crawl under there and look at the bushings and all the rubber components under there... The biggest indication will be Cracking, small cracks are normal, but if the start to get bigger than 1/4" or so they are old and dried out. Another way to check, but not completly accurate is to bounce one side of the front end of the car, if you have squeaking, on one side and not the other, or if one side squeaks more than the other, then it is likely struts, or strut mounts. If the whole front end squeks then I would say the Sway bar bushings are to blame. But if you get nothing then visually inspect the bearings......

To replace the sway bar bushings, it should be a simple bolt off bolt on type of thing..... But, again don't quote me on that part..... I haven't had to do that to my car yet..... The most I could think it would be is a complete Sway bar removal, which is not that hard either......Again a bolt off, bolt on procedure. Total cost for the bushings replacement = around $30-40

Now to replace the Struts, and strut mounts. I personally would not try it unless you really now what to do, or have done it before, and have all the necassary tools. It could be difficult and dangerous if you don't know what you are doing......

Any case let me know what you find.... It is kinda hard to diagnose these things online without seeing or hearing the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ohh yeah I almost forgot. To lube the bushing or re-vitalize the rubber (in the case you find crack smaller than 1/4") - Use a Teflon based Spray lube. Silicone will work great too. It comes in cans similar to PAM cooking spray, and is applied pretty much the same way.... This might even be your solution to your problem...

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Its probably your springs rubbing with the bottom or top parts of the struts, or the bearings that mounts on top of the struts. The Isolators wear out over time, and then metal to metal is the next step= Squeeks!, Thought this might help too, ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
dannysodhi said:
yeah it makes noises sometime when i turn, mainly toward the left.
If the squeaking/scraping is more noticeable when making left turns:

Turn the wheel to the left, jack up the front right wheel, and look at the inside of the brake disk. Near the bottom of the disk there is a metal heat shield that is very close to the disk. Take some thin cardboard (e.g. from a cereal box) and work it in between the gap to clean out the rust and crap that accumulates there. Repeat if necessary. Also using the cardboard to protect the disk, use a flat screwdriver to gently move the shield a little more away from the disk.

Then take it for a test drive and let us know your results!

G

1 - 17 of 17 Posts