DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was always a fan of this site and have now decided to be a member, I will post pics of my ride sometime this month.

I have a '98 2.7 trep that has a steering wheel driving me crazy. It squeeks with every turn and it makes my car feel like a bucket. I tried putting wd-40 around the inside with the steering wheel still on with little or no help. I heard you need some special lubricant to take care of this. Is this something a amateur can perform or should i take to dealer. Also if i need to go to the dealer for this, how much would it run for? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
931 Posts
is it like a squeak when your window is stuck or your door is hard to open? is the squeak coming right from the steering wheel or somewhere along the steering column into the engine?

if you think its further down the steering column try spraying some lubricant on the u-joint in the steering column. its the joint thats right before the firewall. (i think.)

lewis

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your quick reply, it sounds like the squeek is right from the steering wheel, i would say it sounds like high pitch but fairly faint. what do you make of it?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the same thing. Kind of like a rap artist scratching a record when you turn the wheel. It soesn't really bother me much, so I never tried to fix it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any ideas anybody? Its not something so unbearable, its just that it makes my car sound and feel older than it really is. thanks again

·
Registered
94 Posts
Happen to me when they replaced the steering rack.
Also only when cold.

They went back and replaced the bushings, helped some...

-Mario

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hm, it doesnt bug anybody at all? Thats it, time to experiment on my own :) wish me luck i will try my water based lube and see what happens j/k LOL, but seriously though i will see what i can use and keep you guys posted. If anyone out there knows what to do, please feel free to post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts