DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, long time no post! I'm still running my 93 Concorde, havent had the cash to put any mods in it in a while except I finished my system with mtx 4" thunderdomes in the front!
My ride is in really good shape, I've probably put about 10k kms since I last posted though :S

I have a problem, with a potential solution but Im not sure if it'll work so I'm askin' the pros before I start tinkering.

I've got a squeaky wheel bearing on my front drivers side, which according to my trusted mechanic I dont need to replace because all it's doing is squeaking. But the squeak is damn annoying, and since I am in an automotive program at college rolling up in the parking lot with my fellow classmates is just EMBARASSING!
So my theory is that if I take off the wheel and work lubricant all in the interior of the wheel assembly that the squeak will go away. So at this point Im wondering if that's a totally useless thing to do or if that may make the squeak go away.
So thats my problem and my idea, will it work or should I just go ahead and replace the bearing?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
chevyjr73 said:
if it's definately the bearing i'd just go ahead and replace it becuase if it's squeaking from lack of lubrication more than likely some damage has been done to the wheel bearing.
My passenger side's begun squeaking a bit as well. Wonder if that's what it is. Not a cheap fix from what I understand, particularly if you take care of both sides.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I've only got the one side to do and if it is a lubrication problem wouldn't just greasing the whole inside of the wheel do the trick? My sister needed a wheel bearing replaced on her 04 neon and it cost her about $85 for the part and about $300 for the labour... not an amount Im interested in spending.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
they are sealed, and it definitely is not a hard job. You need to take off the axle shaft bolt, caliper and rotor and three bolts for the hub bearing itself. You could do it in less than 2 hours easy. Good luck

·
Premium Member
15,510 Posts
Ive never heard them squeak,, but ive seen the damage left behind after they have done some grinding,, sounds more like a brake pad sensor,,

·
Registered
223 Posts
usually a bad wheel bearing will make a humming noise that kind of sounds like big mud tires on pavement. I did both of mine in about half a day. A really big pry bar helps in getting the lower ball joint seperated

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
eagle88 said:
usually a bad wheel bearing will make a humming noise that kind of sounds like big mud tires on pavement. I did both of mine in about half a day. A really big pry bar helps in getting the lower ball joint seperated
I changed both of mine and never popped the ball joint. I undid the two bolts holding the strut to the knuckle, this gives you clearance to remove the cv.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chevyjr73 said:
im pretty sure that the wheel bearing is a sealed bearing and there is no way that you can really lubricate it. only cure is to replace it. are you sure it's not just a brake pad squeaking?

I just replaced all of my brakes, rotors and pads, it was actually the same guy who had done the work who told me that it was the wheel bearing.

The squeaking gets worse the longer I drive it and is louder at lower speeds than it is at high way speeds (even though I'm not driving on the highway ;) ). I've had the problem before on my old Lumina (before a piston shot through the hood).

Anybody know what a wheel bearing replacement costs in CDN? Any special part numbers I need or should I just ask for a trep (Concorde) wheel bearing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.