DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have recently purchased a 2001 dodge intrepid for $500. Ya I know $500, but there is a posibility that the engine is done for. But my question for today is, If I were to lers say have a new srt motor which produces 230hp from factory and has many more parts available then that of the intrepid motors. And can if done right could produce 800hp eaisly. What if any are the possibilities of this engine swap and what might be need to complete.

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
tkmhkm said:
Hello everyone. I have recently purchased a 2001 dodge intrepid for $500. Ya I know $500, but there is a posibility that the engine is done for. But my question for today is, If I were to lers say have a new srt motor which produces 230hp from factory and has many more parts available then that of the intrepid motors. And can if done right could produce 800hp eaisly. What if any are the possibilities of this engine swap and what might be need to complete.

exactly what engine do you plan on installing?

The issues with the Intrepid's engine bay are:

North-South engine layout on a FWD car, so good luck fitting anything to the trans.

Lack of room everywhere, the sides, front, back, the hoodline, etc.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
If you're deat set on another engine.. it'll have to be a north-south.. so like a nice v8.. straight six.. the transmission, drive shaft, rear end/axles and suspension.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Hey there tkmhkm,

Welcome to the site. $500 - That sounds like a beater ?!?!?

There are a few concerns I would have with the SRT engine:

Motor mounts - custom
Custom axles probably
Transplant all electronics(I'm sure the turbo engine has plenty!!!)
Might as well transplant gauge cluster if Intrepid one doesn't work with Neon computer
Custom clutch pedal and linkage(manual tranny only)
Custom manual shifter and linkage(maybe some work if auto tranny is used as well)
All the wiring you'll have to do(I can see the headaches)

It would be awesome to get 400+ hp in the Intrepid.

·
Registered
509 Posts
holy crap only 500 box, i bet you'll need only a grand if not less to get a nice engine in this, wow only a couple grand for a 01 intrepid... i wish i can get a deal like that and start customizing from there.

i think you should ask a shop if that could be done in your car but it'd be awsome if you get a 230hp in there, i'd pay you a visit just to see the engine.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I guess with the SRT-4 Engine, you would almost have your choice of how you mounted the engine. You could do it longitidunal, but then you'd need a transmission that mounted to the back and has the 1/2 shafts come out the sides. LH trans' do this, but they're not rated for much over 250hp. Plus, being automatic, they have a torque converter (which would mean the SRT-4 engine would require a different flywheel).

I think the easiest setup would be to try to cram an SRT-4 engine w/ 5-speed trans. into the intrepid engine bay as a transverse setup. To do this, you would need custom engine/trans mounts, custom shifter linkage, computer reprogramming (if that's possible) and basically a lot of work. I would say to modify the stock internals of the intrepid already, except you still have the trans. weakness problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i got my 2000 for free.....My boss gave it to me, hell he only paid a grand for it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
hmm, well, duing to that lack of mechanical ability myself, i cant give advise, but its sounds like a spendy project. I have pondered buyin an 02 ES in town here for 1000 buck, has a thrown rod, but might be worth putting money into
Good luck

Brian

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Considering the Crossfire is a has a RWD configured drivetrain, I don't think that you could get the SRT-6 enging/tranny into the 'trep. If you were to just use the engine (and mount it to the intrepid trans.) then you would blow the trans in a matter of minutes (they're not very strong)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I might be letting my ignorance show, but why bother with all the hassle of the SRT4 engine? Why not just go with a 3.5L HO? More HP and same torque as the SRT4 according to the #'s I've seen.

·
Banned
5,268 Posts
velobard said:
I might be letting my ignorance show, but why bother with all the hassle of the SRT4 engine? Why not just go with a 3.5L HO? More HP and same torque as the SRT4 according to the #'s I've seen.
Factory turbo. Easier to make more power. However, it would be a royal pain in the ****ing ass to put that in there, and its actually just a plain stupid idea, but I won't get into that.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sure the srt seems like a good engine to choose but it would look plain pitiful in the engine bay. Sure it would be cool to have a trep with 400+ horses. But by the time you do all that you may as well bought an srt and gone from there. I own a 1gen neon and you would be suprised at what the factory puts on to make the car a little *****. Its the same for the 2gens and the srt. Slap a 3.5 in there, get a CAI, Some flowmasters, and a fiew others and you will be good. Oh and autostick. Just to have more fun.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,606 Posts
I would recommend one of the new Hemis--maybe from a magnum or charger?? Ive done a little research on them and found that the trans bolt pattern is the same as our 3.5 and 3.2 engines..... just have to figure out the radiator and closing the hood... Looking at a magnum, the 5.7 hemi doesnt look too much bigger than a 3.5ho size wise, except for the height, and its about 4" longer, width seems to be ok... probably a pipe dream, but would love to attempt it!!

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
32Intrepid said:
I would recommend one of the new Hemis--maybe from a magnum or charger?? Ive done a little research on them and found that the trans bolt pattern is the same as our 3.5 and 3.2 engines.....
Even if it's true that a 5.7 hemi would bolt up to a LH trans, how would you keep the trans from becoming shrapnel all over the roadway? The 42LE can barely handle the output of the stock LH engines. put a V8 on one, and, well, it'll be a good show ;)

·
Registered
467 Posts
I know I'm a nub. I'm on here doing research for my brother and his Intrepid, but I couldn't help chime in on this thread.

I work at a Ford dealership, and I've befriended a new guy to the shop. He worked at Chrysler for 26 years and is a Master Tech. there. One of his favorite little known facts is that there were very few Stratus R/T's and supposedly an equally few Intrepid R/T's produced in Mexico available with a 2.4L turbocharged I4 mated to a heavy duty five speed manual trans. Sound familiar? Story goes that the SRT-4 was originally the 2.0 available in the Neons with a blower, but after seeing the success of these R/T's and their reliability in the late 90's, they decided to go with the 2.4 powerplant. There are a few changes to the motor, mostly casting, but just some interesting food for thought.

I have never come across any hard proof to concrete such a claim, but he is not the only guy I've heard it from, and based on my experiences with both cars, there is certainly the space and the layout to do such a swap.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Without the plans, or parts, you would still have to custom make all the linkages and engine mounts so that the half-shafts line up with the front suspension.

If there is a 245hp 2.4L turbo w/ 5-speed trans. 'trep out there, I want it, but until I hear somebody else confirm this, I don't buy it (no offense)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
The Stratus r/t turbo is not a rare beast; it is very, very common outside of the US. It's one of my favorite rentals when I'm in MX on business and would be very happy if I could find a way to grey-market import one into the 'states.

·
Registered
467 Posts
well, it's been confirmed I guess, as he stated Mexico. Perhaps not an Intrepid, maybe I heard wrong. Stratus is close enough for me. :)

I am glad to hear there is one, I would have been dissappointed to be wrong.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts