DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I had a quick question about the standard goodyear on the Second Gen what is it and is everyone happy with it or what tires would you recomend for one?

I bought DEEPRED used and the dealer put crappy tires on it and my wet pavement traction isn't as great as I would like it to be. TIA!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just put Michelin Pilot XGTV4's on my ES. I've put about 5000 miles on them so far. Made a world of difference, in turn in and responsiveness, but they are a little noiser than the stock GA's. Where they really stand out is in the wet, night and day difference. They were around $140 per, mounted w/ lifetime balance.

I spent a good bit of time researching all around all-performance, since I have to deal with a little snow. I also was leaning towards the Potenza.

I switched to Goodyears RS-a's on my 99, they also were a hell of a improvement, but they wore out awfully quick.

Dave

·
Registered
202 Posts
Contrary to what I've read...mainly complaints...I've had none with the OEM Goodyear Eagle GAs. Have 26k miles on the car. They grip fine, but have not had them in the snow. I also purchased a fifth OEM rim to go with the spare Eagle GA. Hopefully that will extend the life of the tires by rotating that in to the sequence.
My recommendation is to go for a quiet tire as the number 1 tire quality followed by performance. The Goodyear Eagle GA and LS fit that bill. Another factor in my decision process is that Goodyear, Dunlop, and Kelly-Springfield are owned by Goodyear...one of the last American tire companies (they have factories in Canada too.)
HTH

·
Registered
602 Posts
Some of the strictly OEM guys are gonna hate me.......

I haven't gone through tires yet on a second gen, only with my 1995 Intrepid. I bought some BF Goodwrich's that had a 60,000 mile warranty and were rated at 120MPH, they had a nice tread pattern and seemed to perform well. They were much less then Godyear or Michelin. I was really happy with their performance, but were talking for the first gen's cheap 15" wheels. Not sure how lower profile BF's would perform on as second gen.

When I repalce my tires on my 2002 when they get worn after rotating I'm probably gonna go with some BF's on it too.

I hated the really wide tread pattern on my 99ES' Goodyear GA's. They were high speed tires rated to like 146MPH or something though which was nice, car can only hit 120MPH.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The Stock BadYears were the worst tire I have ever had on a car.

They were out of round (all 4!) from the factory and I just replaced them all when I bought my aftermarket wheels with some "funky sounded named street tire that all the ricers use that I can't remember what the name is off the top of my head."

I am more then happy with my new tires, I noticed a big difference in handling and stopping...I don't slide in the rain at all anymore.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Deepred - I have my hi perf Michelins in storage right now. No need to tear up a good tire on our slow crappy roads. I bought the Yoko Avids and was very surprised at the wet and dry traction. They have a softer sidewall so the ride isn't as harsh as the Michelins were. They are 225/55/17. I like them a LOT!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the Goodyear Eagle tires w/yellow lettering that came with my Motorsports edition 'trep. Personally, I think Goodyears are totally overrated and wear quickly. Unfortunately I'll probably stick with them just to maintain the originality of the car. I've had BF Goodrich tires in the past and always had good luck with them.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah, BF's baby! aaaaw, you got a Viper 550 huh.....? Nice..... Man tell me about it, after several thousand miles my Goodyear Performance GA's were wearing really fast. I would also notice little tiny pin prick looking indentations worn into them on the outer edges. I was told by the dealer is because they are soft high performance tires. I'm satisfied so far with my Goodyear Touring GA's on my 2002 but when it comes to changing tires I'm definately going to try some BF's.

Actually just checked, there are actually a lot of complaints about all tire manufactures. Buying tires can be a tough decision.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah I figured that the Goodyears were a soft compound rubber that performance tires usually have. I still don't find that they grip all that great. Maybe I just haven't had a car that handles good enough to realize their full potenial. I remember having the BF Goodrich radial T/As and those handled excellent in the rain.

No complaints with the Viper 550 so far, except that I wish my headlights wouldn't flash when I arm/disarm the alarm.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Really?? I believe that this can be reconfigured in the alarm or perhaps the installer can rewire it to just flash the parking lights. I actually want mine to do this when I get it installed in my 02' but I'm just thinking it could wear down your battery if it get's triggered a lot but you can set the alarm to just sound for like 30 seconds so it's not too damn annoying.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My '98 ES is going to need new tires this spring. Have any of you had any experience with either of these tires.... Michelin MXV4 Energy, or Yokohama Avid's?

Any other moderately priced tire recommendations are appreciated.

I live in the NY Metro area, and do mostly highway driving, in 4 season climate.
Lee

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I have Michelin Pilot XGT H4's (all-season) on mine and I have been very pleased with them. They have great traction on wet roads, and performance in the snow is not as good as the Regatta 2's I mention below, but still acceptable. In the summertime they perform great too.

On my 95 Intrepid I had some Goodyear Regatta 2's and they were good tires, great treadlife, great in the snow and wet conditions. Performance on dry pavement was probably it's biggest weakness.... of course, it wasn't designed to be a performance tire either.... just an all-around good all-season tire.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I bought Michelin T+ Durablack which has a treadwear grade of 700, and is narrower than the MXV4+. I would have liked to get something better like those mentionned above, but these were on sale at that time. :( I'm now somewhat depressed and jealous.

j/k

·
Registered
67 Posts
bottom line

I have 64 K miles on my car 3rd set of tires. Goodyear although handle decent wear too much. Recommend Michelin Pilots or Bridgestone Potenzas -that is what i have, I got the hookup $200 a piece potenzas got half price. Friend hee hee. Potenzas are rated as better handling tires than pilots -dad used to work at michelin so I am biased to them- however the pilots prob last longer despite mileage gurantees.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts