DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had issues with the starter, although I may have been able to fix this with some new contacts but I regress. I put a reman starter in for about $105. Anyway, the starter in the 3.3 Trep is a PITA to get to due to the 3 bolts being all knuckle scrapping areas. Still I got it out and put in the new one, but had major issues due to the shim. At the end of the day I was wearing out and just decided to try it without the shim in place, Of course everything lined up perfectly and tightened correctly then! Started right up, no problems, tried over and over and always with a good start, no noise, or grinding, or spinning. So, Am I just lucky or will this come back to haunt me by not having the shim in place? Really don't want to take it out again, but if this could be a major issue, I suppose I'll have to. Appreciate any opinions.

A couple additional thoughts: The old starter gear showed some wear, so I thought that the flywheel may be an issue, typically a flywheel will wear at at two points, which are bases (I think), on the flywheel balance, but basically at engine shutoff the flywheel will drop to a balance point, OR it will drop to the other balance point that is 180 deg opposite. This represents the two points of the flywheel that the starter always hits, which is of course the most wearing areas.
SO, based on that I thought that the wear on the flywheel gears could be an issue. What I'm speculating on is that removing the shim may have actually aided in engaging the flywheel by pushing the starter gear a mm or so further in to engage this? Also, just the fact of having new starter gear that isn't worn could also help this condition.
Kind of went on a speculative rant here, but thanks for any input:)

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
drive it and be happy, I left the shim out of my mom in laws 95 concorde 3 years ago,, no problem

by the way I found the starter simple to swap out, much easier than my old 2.7 trep

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drive it and be happy, I left the shim out of my mom in laws 95 concorde 3 years ago,, no problem

by the way I found the starter simple to swap out, much easier than my old 2.7 trep
Yeah it was simple WITHOUT the damn shim. Good to know that others have left this out as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I went through the pain in putting that shim back in.

However future idea, instead of dropping $100+ on a starter, just buy the starter brass solenoid contact points off ebay (got mine for 14 bucks) and fix what 80% of them time goes bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts