DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a new one on me. Every so often I have trouble starting the car. Generally this is what happens. I try to start,I only turn it over a couple seconds. Stop, then push the peddle, it seems to be stuck. I turn it over nad it starts. It just did this, then it backfired on me. Scared the **** outa me. Hasn't happened to me since I had a car with a carb. I pop the hood and see smoke, the oh **** feeling comes over me. I look to see if some blew. Couldn't see anything. I started it up after that and it ran fine. Just really wierd.

First, is there a popet or something that could be sticking? Can I adjust the bolt to move the postion just a touch. I figured if I do that. and disconnect the battery so the computer resets. Would this do anything to help the sticking,putting the rod in a different spot that is.

Any ideas?

I had put regular copper plugs in a little while back. But that should not have anything to do with the problem.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, the tamper proof torq stopped for a minute. Bought some bits and I was in business. Had to use a little torch to heat the locktite. Moved it 1/8 turn and it doesn't seem to stick now. I will see (I am sure) if it works.

I will also take a look inside the throtle body when I put on the CAI, when it gets here :crying: to see if its gunky.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Hailstorm said:
First, is there a popet or something that could be sticking? Can I adjust the bolt to move the postion just a touch. I figured if I do that. and disconnect the battery so the computer resets. Would this do anything to help the sticking,putting the rod in a different spot that is.
Ah, you really need to be more specific about what you just tried there.

A lot more.

What 'tamper-proof torx' did you heat up and turn and why did you think it was related to the problem?

The problem (backfiring) will almost always be timing related.

It could be mechanical timing in that the timing belt/chain could have jumped a notch. Or it could be electrical related to the cam and/or crankshaft sensors. Or both.

Any 'codes' available from the car.

Before you start ghetto-rigging some kind of random repair, it might be a good idea to sit down and think the problem through.

Oh, and what motor, how many miles, and have the 30k, 60k, and 100k services been performed?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, the throttle body where the cable comes up front the gas peddle. There is a set screw thatprevents over travel. That is the screw I turned 1/8 in. The car has 93k, 3.2. The car was a fleet vehicle from national city. All fliuds are clean and fresh. I did a normal tune up for the engine. Then the normal front end crap. The car started just fine today. There was just a little wear on the contact points for the screw ands the lever. Which led me to believe (wrong it may be) that it was just over traveling a little. As for the backfire, I don't know. I can't hear any slap front the engine, It doesn't even have the normal tick tick when its cold.

As for ghetto, I guess I'll take the 2X4 spoiler off then :grinyes:

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Well, the timing belt needs to be changed out at around 100k miles.

Don't mess with the throttle cable, the throttle body has sensors that detect throttle position as well as a few other things and mucking with that could cause the engine computer to read error codes and mis-lead further troubleshooting.

A mis-fire could also be a stuck injector. No harm in dumping a can or injector cleaner into the gas tank once or twoce over the next week. Not all at once, you just want the cleaning to occur over time, say 2-3 tanks work of gas.

When you saw the smoke, did you smell smoke too? I'm asking because a wet exhaust system will boil off the moisture pretty fast and make a lot of steam.

Did you do the ignition switch on-off thing to check the engine computer for error codes?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it was hard to start to go home from work. I disconnected the battery for a half hour so I think the codes would be gone. I will have to drive it then try the key trick. If I recall right , the backfire gave a smell a gas. By the time I poped the hood, it was all around the throttle body near the fire wall.

Now, if I have no power issue when it is running. Would that indicate that the fuel pump is ok? Is there a sensor that could cause the hard start? It seems when I give it gas, it does start. At the moment, I am at a loss.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
There is no actual gasoline in the throttle body. All the TB does is to regulate airflow. The gas should be injected right into the cyls.

Having said that, there have been instances where seals/o-rings on the fuel injection system have gone bad and leak all over the place. If you've got a leak, well, that needs to be found and fixed.

If the car is backfiring and blowing gas backwards through the intake, that's probably a mechanical timing problem, timing belt jumped a sproket or two.

Engine error codes would be helpful, if any. They will tell you if a sensor is bad, if there is a mis-match between the crank and cam sensors, if any of the coil packs are bad, weirdness in the intake airflow, etc, etc.

Until you get the codes read (you can do it yourself, use search to find the procedure), you're just stabbing in the dark.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put some injector cleaner in the tank. Not all like you said. I will try the key trick after work Wed. Hopefully I will have something show to give me a direction.

Thank you for the help by the way. :wink:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, no codes are stored. Either I need to drive more, or it is good code wise. DIdn't flash anything, it just waited a second and said done. Now what? She is still a little hard starting, and a little ruff evey so often at lights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts