DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my intrepid sit at garage for a few days, it get starting problem. When i turn the key, i only heard a click, the engine doesnot crank. All other elctrical things work. The battery is fine. Is it starter malfuntion? If driving everyday, this situation wont happen.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Could be the starter. I just replaced mine today. Ugh. Try to get it rebuilt, cause you don't want to buy one new. Trust me. :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
I also could be a loose wire on the starter. That happened to me, tightened it and the starter worked fine.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That happened to me, got progressively worse, it ended up bein the starter. $100 if you give them the old one at Advance Auto I believe it was.

·
Registered
229 Posts
how do you know it's not the battery? when the car sits for a few days, there is a slow drain on the battery for the ECM, radio memory, etc. when you go to start it, it may click because it doen'st have enough juice to turn the motor, but enough to engage the solenoid. if you are saying the battery is ok based on the radio and other electricals operating, keep in mind that these electricals require low current draw... but your engine requires a large one.

if it clicks after a few days of sitting, how does it finally start? do you jump it? do you keep trying until it finally starts? how does it sound when it does finally start?... strong or weak?

autozone or advance auto can troubleshoot the starting system for free. they check the battery with a load.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The battery would drain in a few days if it is going bad. If driven regularly, you wouldn't notice it because it's always being charged up. But if it sits for a few days, the charge is lost quickly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all reply. It is not the battery problem cause now the it wont start even ii sits for a few minutes. I changed a started with a rebuilt one. I also noticed that the positve wire (green color) with a plug is very very dirty. The contact of that plug is full of oil. I cleaned that plug also when changing the starter. It is a easy job. Just jack the car at front, then u get under it and remove the starter by sockets. An assistant can pull the starter out from the hood. Then u unplug the wires and clean them and connect them to the new starter. then u get to underneath again , ur assistant insert the starter and u get it installed. I get the rebuilt starter from dearler. However, this starter make high frequency noise after the car starting. Bad quality again of damn chrylser OEM. I should buy it in other stores , brand like Bosch.

·
Registered
266 Posts
creepingdeath said:
I also could be a loose wire on the starter. That happened to me, tightened it and the starter worked fine.
I had the loose wire problem too. I went to a mechanic who said it was the started before I went to my mechanic (lives kinda far away) he said it seemed to be the power, and ended up finding a loose wire. No problems since then :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts