DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm reaching here. Has anybody found steel braided brake lines for the LH cars? I can't seem to find them. I even emailed Goodridge and they told me they don't currently offer them and have no plans on offering them. And I thought they did custom jobs. I guess not.

Here's to hoping. :)

TIA,
^chase

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Your best bet might be to go here. If you go down to where it syas braided hose assemblies, you can get them in a nunch of different lengths with all kinds of connectors. I'm not sure what the treps have for connectors on each end and how long the hoses are, but you probably have a good chance of finding what you need. Let us know as I was thinking about getting a set because I want to change my brake fluid soon and that would probably be a good time to replace the lines.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Warlord,

I purchased Classic Tube's braided brake hoses for my LHS. They come with female an-3 fittings on each end and require the proper fittings for the caliper and steel line. The 7/16" banjo fittings will work with our calipers. For the steel line side, I went with 3/16" inverted flair fittings. This requires you to make your own double flair at the end of the steel line. For all four corners it ran me about $135 and gives a rock hard pedal.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Mike said:
For all four corners it ran me about $135 and gives a rock hard pedal.
Hard pedal, really !? That could be worth it. As good as my brakes really are, they DO feel mushy.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
CDN R/T said:
Hard pedal, really !? That could be worth it. As good as my brakes really are, they DO feel mushy.
Yeah, we were just discussing that in another thread. My car stops well, but it seems like you have to push the pedal down really far to get the mto really grab. I kinda liek it because it gives you more control and its not real easy to overapply the brakes, but sometimes it can be annoying. Its totally obvious when I drive my mom's maxima or my dad's ram. I usually stop way too fast the first few times and then when I get back in my car I roll through the first couple of stop signs! Slo its a 7/16" banjo on the caliper side? What is the stock fitting on the steel line side?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Hmm........

I didn't think steel braided lines were DOT approved for street use yet.

Maybe I'm a little out of date?

I've got them on my Interceptor, but I don't think those are approved either.

Anybody have references to the contrary (ie: approved or not)?

Your brakes do feel a bit firmer because the teflon inner and braided outer prevent fluid pressure from expanding the line as much as a regular "rubber" hose. More of the pressure is applied to the piston instaed of expanding the line. Quicker response, better braking control and firmer feel are the result.

Warlord:
You can get ahold of Russell or any of the other aftermarket suppliers and roll your own if you wish. You just have to wonder if you are capable of making such a critical part related to your safety. I believe the issue with braided lines is the swage where the line meets the fitting not being flexible enough and failing in the whip test brake lines are put through. With a "screw together" line, I would wager the test results are worse than a swaged line.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
AFAIK, braided lines have been approved for street use for years. I know for sure that motorcycle lines come with a DOT approved sticker.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
AFAIK, braided lines have been approved for street use for years. I know for sure that motorcycle lines come with a DOT approved sticker.
Maybe so, maybe I'll stroll out to the bike and check.

*edit- after a little googling, it appears most lines are dot approved. Hmm, learn something new everyday!*

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
wow...anyhoo.. back to topic.

I remember reading somewhere that we have sensors on the rear brake lines for the ABS. How does that play into the Braided Brake line assembly. Did your LHS have this sensor or did it not have ABS Mike?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The sensor checks for wheel turn, not psi of the lines, so what type of lines make no differance to the abs system. But if the lines do not expand as the stock ones do the abs will go on before the pedal is pushed down to the flooras far as the stock system.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I was gonna do this a while back, at the same time replacing rotors and pads to upgraded ones. I found them on Andy's Auto Sport, but never got around to doing it. I was going to have to measure the stock lines, because they have them in a bunch of different lengths.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
And when fabbing your own lines remember that you need to use high-pressure materials, fittings, and procedures. The ABS system runs at a much higher pressure than 'normal' brakes.

·
Registered
780 Posts
nothing about steel braided lines since the end of '06? I'm interested in some for my ride, have they come out with any bolt ups so I dont need to fab my own?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts