DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:director: I have a 97 intrepid that I have about had it with. I have replaced the rack, tie rods, stab. links etc. Basicly the entire front end is new. All was fine until a few days ago when I had a hose pop off of the steering cooler. I put it back on and refilled with fluid and the steering was as if I had no assist. So I thought that the pump must have fried and replaced it. Steering is still stiff. I have bleed the system and followed guidelines on how to get air out of the system. Still no improvement. With both front wheels off the ground the steering is fine. Visual inspection of the front end shows nothing bent. HELP!!!

Thanks Mark

J

·
0 Posts
You sure the belt is not slipping or something?
The pump is spinning fine not slipping off the belt.
Keep in mind, that pulley will spin freely while no1 is touching the steering. Power is harnessed from the pully ONLY when the steering is being applied.
In other words, it may be spinning fine when you're not touching the steering, but it starts slipping when you give it input.

Have a friend get in the car and move steering left and right and see if the belt is slipping off the pump pulley when power is applied. I mean, you said that hose popped off, and it may be slipping still..
Try it. Cuz all the problems indicate bad power steering that you've mentioned. Not rack, bushings or anything else.
Power steering is basically your proportioning valve system mechanism. Unless you've damaged the valving itself, I don't see how having everything new will still cause you to loose PS.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Do you have the variable-assist speed-proportional power steering ? If so, check to make sure the the wire coming from the solenoid control valve is alright and still connected to the solenoid control valve control module.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My 95 is pretty hard to turn at lower speeds, I have the speed proportional rack that i don't think is working. I won't fix it until it completly fails.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
eagle88 said:
My 95 is pretty hard to turn at lower speeds, I have the speed proportional rack that i don't think is working. I won't fix it until it completly fails.
I'd just take alook at the wire, move it around a bit and see if you hear any clicking noises coming from the rack with the car running, if so may be just a break in the line or bad connection. You know you can just buy a new solenoid control valve, instead of buying a new rack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts