DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I wanted to give everyone a heads up in regard to some known steering issues.

After extensively researching steering issues with my 1999 Intrepid I have found that there were many similar reports with some symptoms that were strikingly similar.

A: Steering intermittently feeling loose or flimsy. Intermittent play in steering assembly.

B: Drifting

C: Squeaking noise in column during initial driving in cold weather.

D: Intermittent vibration in steering.

E: Awkward unexpected change in steering behavior

Unfortunately my dealer was not very receptive and continually assured me that nothing was wrong.

I have now found that common fixes for similar issues I was experiencing were Steering Column, Rack and Pinion and Steering Gear Assembly replacement.

I have heard that there is actually a NHTSA investigation regarding 1993-1997 Dodge Intrepid vehicle's for over 1,450 Steering related failures and incidents, over 55,000 warranty claims for (Tierod seperation, looseness, loss of Steering control etc.) I personally never experienced any problems or any Steering related issues with my 1995 Dodge Intrepid but I guess some have different experiences.

Major issues with my 1999 ES however, unfortunately. I have obtained invoices from the original and previous owner complaining of issues as well. Suspension work was performed when the vehicle had under 10,000 miles on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could not imagine this..... I am a little frustrated that my 2002 SE, after the first morning I drove it to work was making a squeaking noise at the end of U-Turns (lock to lock condition) at about 10MPH. I then began to notice a clunking in my steering when manuvering at low speeds with sharp turns in a parking lot.

If you have the wheel turned sharp to the left and you stop, not even stopping hard you hear and feel a clunking, sometimes double clunk in the driver side steering assembly. If you do the same thing but to the right you hear a clunking in the rear passenger side.

At about 2000 miles my steering all of a sudden felt loose while driving home from work. The car would drift and it was hard to keep in the lane on the freeway. After about 20 miles it felt tight and normal again.

The Shop Forman stated he could not duplicate the condition. We went to a parking lot and I duplicated both issues several times. He blamed the sqeaking on paint on the asphault causing the tires to squeal. He did aknowledge the clunking but claimed he couldn't do anything about it since the steering assembly looks fine. He claimed he tightened up steering related bolts and the steering does actually seem to have a better feel to it although the squeaking and clunking persist.

Does anyone know what this could be other than trying to blame me? I am assuming that this is not normal. Would new bushings cause this.....?

Just thought I'd ask........ Perhaps someone may know what causes this or why this is such a problem for some

Later guys

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have the same problems with my intrepid now the same **** that you descrbied on the top.

Oh well im selling my intrepid soon so that dosent matter:devil: :devil:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have these problems too, and I am told my my mechanic (he's excellent) that it is probably the tie-rod bushings. He said the rods could need replacing, but its more than likely the bushings which are cheap to replace.

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
166 Posts
My '98 ES

Last winter I noticed a scraping sound in the steering when the car was cold. I noticed it only when the wheel was turned "hard" to the right. It went away after only minutes of driving. The Five Star Dodge dealership first replaced the two rubber steering wheel blocks, but when that did not solve the problem, they replaced the rack and pinion assembly. It was done under warranty and seems to have solved the problem.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys, I am in the process of talking with Chrysler in regard to the issues, hopefully we'll come up with something or they never hear the end of my calls.

Take care guys.......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: My '98 ES

LeeNYC said:
Last winter I noticed a scraping sound in the steering when the car was cold. I noticed it only when the wheel was turned "hard" to the right. It went away after only minutes of driving. The Five Star Dodge dealership first replaced the two rubber steering wheel blocks, but when that did not solve the problem, they replaced the rack and pinion assembly. It was done under warranty and seems to have solved the problem.
Question Lee, did you, by chance or invoice... see a price listing on the replacement rack & Pinion and labor? I'm curious what it would have cost not under warranty.... as I need to replace my R&P assmebly unit on my 97 Intrepid "Sport".... Looking forward to your response

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
RustPicker.. with labor.. that ends up to be about $900

if you ahve the same problems as most other 1st gens.. it is the rubber bushings that the steering is mounted on. They all rot out create LOTS of play. I made new bushings for my drivers side, and now i need to make new ones for the passenger side. I will take a picture a little later after my digi camera charges up

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
okay.. found some new batteries :p
hmm
I wonder how I attach a file correctly......
hmm. my file has to be an image size of 640x0
what the heck is that?

ok. will just link it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
$900 in labor!? OMG!

Lafrad said:
RustPicker.. with labor.. that ends up to be about $900

if you ahve the same problems as most other 1st gens.. it is the rubber bushings that the steering is mounted on. They all rot out create LOTS of play. I made new bushings for my drivers side, and now i need to make new ones for the passenger side. I will take a picture a little later after my digi camera charges up
$900 in labor!? OMG! :eek: where in the world do you live!? Here in Tidewater, VA (aka Hampton Roads), labor is @ $75 per hours, which equates to $300 buckeroos? Dude, if labor is that expensive ($225 per hour? OMG!) it's time to move! IMHO

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
well, talk to the Dealer. thats what the quote is for a New Rack and pinion, install, and re-alignment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rack N Pinion Replacement

Lafrad said:
well, talk to the Dealer. thats what the quote is for a New Rack and pinion, install, and re-alignment.
Ok, I finally got the R&P replaced. Here's the details....
Part ........................................Price

Rack n Pinion Assembly...........$125 (on sale/normally 212)
_____Bought from NAPA
Bushing kit (NAPA)................$17
Throttle Body Gasket(s)...........No Charge (normally $12)
Front End Alignment................No Charge
Labor @ 4.5Hrs (Book)............$324
___By Firestone (Took them 1.5days)
Satisfaction:.............................Priceless!
Total:.......................................$466
Savings vice going to Dealer:...49%
Not too Shabby huh? :cool:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
!

Ive had all those steering problems before. Had the dealer replace the rack and pinion and car drives like she was brand new. And in the neck of time too, car is out of extended warranty in 3000 miles!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've had none of the issues described by you folks. Current odometer reading is 50,115.

Why is there another post about this? You've got a website about it, MoparPerformance... and more than a few posts on here that deal with the same stuff...

I just don't understand the need for repetition all over the place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
mine is doing something similar i will be going up the highway and when i go around a slight turn it is like something moves in the steering and havent moved it at all, then i will have to move the whel to catch up were it wen to in the lane doen do it all the time

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the same thing with my 94 es about 3 years ago, 5-star dealer said there were no issues they could find (it only was happinging when it was cold and after the car was sitting all night). I took the the car to a tire place that also did auto repair and they found that both uoter tie rods were so warn that the the "ball" could come right out of the "socket". the car was not under warnity (had about 150,000 miles), I was amazed that the 5-star dealer did not pick up on that, and very conserned that at any time if I hit a bump just right I could have lost control of the steering of the car!

had it fixed and realigned and no more steering issues

1 - 19 of 19 Posts