DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Some of you have probably read my other thread about my steering problem. Something is wrong with my car that is causing a noise and vibration upon moving the steering wheel to the left of center position, or even holding it to the left for any period of time. This is only happens, or is at least most noticeable at speeds at and above 60 mph. There is also a mild click and/or squeal i notice at parking lot speeds, just after starting the car and rolling out of a parking spot.

I finally brought the car to Sears automotive for a free alignment check and told them about my problems. They said there was absolutely nothing wrong with the front suspension, no play in any parts or connections. They said the only possible thing it could be was a wheel bearing. I had them replace the left front wheel bearing for around $202, and now I still have the same exact problems i did before. I am getting very frustrated now, because the car doesn't feel very safe at speeds above 60 mph. There is also a pull to the right while driving on flat straight highway, which the technician also noticed upon test drive.

My brother who is a manager over automotive and other Sears departments said that I have a 6 month warranty on labor and can have them check over their work and test drive for free.

I guess the worst part about the problem is everyone is telling me there is nothing wrong with the car and to ignore it but I can't. My car is like the only thing I enjoy working on and I have to drive on the highway every day to get to work, and every day I hear the noise and feel the vibrations and Its very bothersome.

I think its something with the tires or brakes they put on at the dealer, Mom thinks its in the steering box or a sticking caliper, Dad says ignore it and not let it bother me (yeah right), brother says it could be the other bearing.

I don't know what I'm asking here... I guess just any advice or anyone having similar problems that has tips. Thanks!

Josiah

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The technician also said he noticed that the brake pedal felt like it was sinking straight to the floor when he braked on his test drive. Could this be associated with a sticking caliper like Mother suggested?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
They didn't know if the wheel bearing was bad before replacing it? They are so easy to check I can't believe they would have replaced it without checking it. There was probably nothing wrong with it. If the brake seems like its sinking right to the floor, them you've more than likely got air in the line somewhere and the system needs to be bled. And no, that wouldn't affect the steering.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
froggy81500 said:
They didn't know if the wheel bearing was bad before replacing it? They are so easy to check I can't believe they would have replaced it without checking it. There was probably nothing wrong with it. If the brake seems like its sinking right to the floor, them you've more than likely got air in the line somewhere and the system needs to be bled. And no, that wouldn't affect the steering.
They found no problem at first, and then I said that the dealer mentioned something about it sounding like a wheel bearing problem, so i decided to have the "elective surgery" done. Nothing was suggested but that is the only thing they could think of. My brother said that specific manager likes to get people to take on certain repairs that aren't necessary. I feel like I just wasted $200 on something that didn't even need to be replaced. I guess I convinced myself just because I wanted to fix the problem...

Anyone have any other ideas? So far I know I have the following problems:
- Air in the brake lines
- Needs alignment

Josiah

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
sinking pedal and pull botheres me,, i remember a few years ago i had a taurus in the shop, that had a bad pull and low brake pedal,, it had a REAL bad front wheel bearing that let the wheel dip in so bad it pushed the caliper piston back so when you hit the brakes the pedal went to the floor till you pumped it a few times sitting still,, then the wheel was stright too,, I really think is find another shop take a look at it,, second opnion so to say,,,,

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that I think of it, the pedal does feel a lot less stiff and responsive than my previous Intrepid (00 3.2 ES). It takes roughly an inch or 2 of movement to even feel the car slow down. That might be an exaggeration but i'll test it a little tomorrow. I do know the sound and vibration is the same as it was before, so at least the left wheel bearing had no effect.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More problems i'm noticing:

- It is very hard to slow down braking from as little as 25mph. Literally have the slam it to the floor. Another sign of air in the lines I assume?

- Hard to return the car to center after a sharp right turn over railroad track, don't know if thats normal from the suspension moving around after the bumps, but it bugged me a bit.

The car is going in on Saturday, and they are going to fix everything thats wrong and they are going to do it right.

Josiah

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
JLWX5 said:
More problems i'm noticing:

- It is very hard to slow down braking from as little as 25mph. Literally have the slam it to the floor. Another sign of air in the lines I assume?
have you checked the brake fluid lately? Also, pump the brakes and then look around under the car for any signs of leaks. Something doesn't sound right with those brakes. Also, make sure the vacuum hose on the power booster for the brakes isn't leaking or disconnected or otherwise compromised. Have you noticed any engine issues at all like high or rough idle? Or maybe engine issues while braking, a leak inside the booster can manifest itself when you're on the brakes.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
froggy81500 said:
have you checked the brake fluid lately? Also, pump the brakes and then look around under the car for any signs of leaks. Something doesn't sound right with those brakes. Also, make sure the vacuum hose on the power booster for the brakes isn't leaking or disconnected or otherwise compromised. Have you noticed any engine issues at all like high or rough idle? Or maybe engine issues while braking, a leak inside the booster can manifest itself when you're on the brakes.
I have not done a brake fluid check but I watched the Sears tech check my power steering fluid, not sure he really took a look at the brake fluid. There is definitely a problem with my brakes. I was tooling around trying to see how hard it is to stop from certain speeds and it was surprisingly difficult to slow the car at appoximately 25 mph, which is usually an easy speed to stop from. The pedal was literally on the floor and It didn't feel like it wanted to clamp real hard, if that makes sense. I'll do a few of my own checks before I take the car in on Saturday. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the engine at all. My idle has been lower and lower since my Synthetic switchover, fuel system cleaner, and air filter. Yesterday I was sitting at about 550 rpms.

Its probably me being picky about the original noise, but these brakes are scaring me... and they can only get worse as the rotors warp and the pads wear down, so they definitely need to be checked. I'll have Sears check their original work, and tell them about my newly discovered issues, as well as ask for an alignment (which they apparently forgot to do the first time) as well as a full brake evaluation. Maybe even have them rotate my tires to see if that changed the noise at all. Thanks froggy, you've always got some good ideas for me, I really appreciate it!

Josiah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts