DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have replaced the shocks, struts, tie rods, tires, and the bushings where the tie rod connects to the steering gear, but there is a lot of "play" in my steering. I can sit without my tires moving and turn the steering wheel about 1/2 inch in either direction. Any ideas of what else could be causing this? I have heard from a lot of Intrepid owners that it is pretty common, but no help telling what it could be. I've taken it to 2 mechanics already and they can't find the problem either. One actually said some play is normal, but I've had the car for over 10 years, and this is far from normal, or at least the way it was.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Have you looked at the, Rack Mounting Bushings ? They are where the rack mounts to the firewall. Have someone turn the wheel while you look at the rack. If the whole rack moves, then it's just the Rack Bushings.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
MathWiz said:
Steering rack, have fun with that, they have to take half the engine a part to get to it. Our cars are notorious for it.

Charles
On my 3.3, looks like you just unbolt it and it slides out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
notorious ?

hmm thats not good

more info ?

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. I'm bringing it in for my yearly inspection tomorrow and I'll ask him to check it and get an estimate. The car used to handle like a dream but lately it doesn't want to hold the lane, and on a narrow 2 lane road where most drivers are going about 70+ mph (me included prior to my problems), and having to dodge deer in the road I think it's time to get it fixed ASAP.

·
9,861 Posts
Rack bushings. The ones that rack mounts to. There's a howto on changing them in the howto section.

Your shop may tell you that bushings can't be purchased, and you need a new rack. But this isn't true. At least, not anymore.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yep...had the same thing.
Advance Auto had them for under twenty dollars.
The rear one is a bugger to get to though unless you remove the cowl.
I just used a universal with an extension and was able to change mine.
Drives like a dream now.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts