DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out our steering rack bushings are bad and the steering rack moves side to side.

The dealership said that I have to order the whole damn rack.
I have a 1996 trep es.
Is there anyway the previous years bushings will work?
how hard is it to remove the bushings? is this something i can do in my garage?

thanks
rob

·
Registered
240 Posts
does it click when u turn the wheel? that what mine does. it the upper part that is bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah mine grinds when it is cold out or when you are sitting at a stop and move the steering wheel back and forth.

rob

·
Registered
127 Posts
I believe the only one you could replace the rack bushings on was the 93 Treps.I don't know if there is a difference between them but I think I only paid something like $9 or $10 for the bushings when I replaced them on my 93es.Might be worth getting a set to see if you can use them on yours.I know the bushings on mine were not too hard to replace,but I remember having to use a swivel socket to get to some of the bolts.I also had to pull the inlet off the throttle bodies to get to the bolts.Try the bushings for the 93 I know its cheaper than a rack and if they don't fit I am sure you could find somebody in your area that would be willing to buy them from you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I thought the dealer had the steering rack bushing, but they were like $25 each bushing.. Don't let the dealer give you the shaft untill you look into this..

Rich

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't like being the bearer of bad news but for whatever reason the 96 bushings are not sold seperately. There is no listing for them and there is also a note that says no other year will work for 96. Actually I am not suprised at this, you would be amazed at all the weird listings and restrictions we run into every day. I work in the parts department at a dealer and we are always selling the whole rack for 96's in our shop and to private garages.:crazy:

·
Registered
41 Posts
RJ, my 95 New Yorker sat for just over 2 yrs. When I finally got around to getting it rolling again, I noticed that the steering was really loose right off center, about 1/4 to 1/2 turn before responding.

I checked and the inner tie rod end bushings were gone. These are large round rubber bushing that attach to the steering rack. I went to an O'Reilly Auto Pts. and got 2 replacements from Moog for just over $9.00 each. These were 1pc press in bushings, not the 2pc "problem solver" kit sold by many places.

I enjoy working on vehicles(as a hobby and a career choice), this is not what I would call a fun day!! If you decide to do this yourself, save some time and take the entire tierod to someone with a press and have these bushings pressed in. These are a bigger pain in the a$$ to press in than the lower control arm bushings on my Mustang.

Good Luck:thumbsup:

ps: I had to remove the intake hoses, throttle bodies and upper intake just to get to the rack :crazy:

·
Registered
660 Posts
I messed with the 1pc from O'Reilly and decided they where to much work without the proper tool.

Tried their 2pc. but did not like the plastic (blue) they where made with, seemed to soft.

Got the 2pc from Advanced AP and they are still working great after 10K. These look like they might be nylon or something like it....

Anyway I'm happy with them so far...

DR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts