DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as if I had nothin' better to do, I examined an ex gf's intrepid that she claimed would not steer. What I found were the two bolts attaching the inner tie rod ends to the steering rack had sheered of. These bolts have a metal collar that keeps them together and this shows no deformation or stress. Just two fairly cleanly sheared bolts. Will it be possible to remove the rack and easy-out the remnants and reinstall???

·
Registered
917 Posts
I wouldnt see why not, but depending on miles, you might as well buy a new rack and throw it in since it's quite the job anyway. That's my worthless opinion.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
I strongly agree,,, reman rack is usually less than 200, with all the work ,, id say your better off in the long run

·
Registered
15,047 Posts
Yeah, get a new rack. It's alot of work re-tapping out new holes and you might as well just replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. If that's all they cost. My next question would be, how in the hell did it happen? It must have taken a pretty good shot to shear those bolts. I haven't pulled the wheels, but I'm thinkin' at least one of them would be bent??? Thanks for the responses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts