DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I came out, started up my Intrepid, and it went clunk really hard as I turned the wheel, the wheel locked, stereo went off(figuring a fuse blew) so I got out and there was what looked and smelt like power steering fluid everywhere. It smelt like burnt ass as well. I was told the steering rack had a slow leak, and I believe one of the gears in there was worn as even after two alignments it never steered straight, as well as weird clunks when moving the wheel left to right, so what I'm wondering now is judging by the symptoms I've mentioned, is this the entire rack thats shot or just the power steering pump? I won't get a chance to look at it until after work. Can I still drive the car as manual steering?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
well if it was just the pump you would still be able to move the wheel it would just be harder to do. If its locked up your rack is probably junk.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Traced down the source of the leak - high pressure power steering hose fitting at the rack. Resat it, retightened the fitting, couldnt pull it apart by hand, refilled the power steering res and BOOM power steering fluid all over and in the car(had all the windows down). So I'm hoping its just the power steering hose thats shot, will be replacing it tomorrow.

How far/long can I drive the car without the high pressure power steering hose? Any ill effects to the car? I just drove it from the back to the front of the house and will have to do it one more time, don't want to wreck the pump.

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
well if you run it too long yes you will wreck the pump,, let it sit till you can get the hose replaced,, ohh and clean up that mess of fluid,, its gonna stink when it gets hot
best of luck

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just have to run it for about a minute tomorrow from the front of the house back to the garage and swap the hose. And yes, it literally smells like burnt ass already, whatever that smells like. :O

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No local part stores carry the hose except Bumper 2 Bumper - bought it from there, DOESNT FIT.

Called the Stealership, $191.52. Not the price I want to pay for a hose. Now I'm going to the junkers, just have to figure out when I can go, always working sucks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up finding the right hose at Bumper 2 Bumper, they had it hiding. It fixed the problem.

Anyone want to buy an Intrepid with almost $3000 in new parts since August?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts