DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am having a bit of an issue with my 99 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.2L (103K miles). About a year ago I had a problem with the car not holding its lane. It felt like it was floating at highway speeds. $1200 later, the right front hub, strut and bushings are replaced. It drove fine after that for about a year.

For the last week or so I have been noticing a new issue. The car holds a straight line, no problem. In turns it seems to float and the steering is loose. This is not too bad on pavement but its an E-ticket ride on a curvy gravel road.

The tires are less that 6 months old and the alignment seems good. The are no odd sounds or 'clunking'.

I would like to work out a list of the most likely culpuirts and fix/replace them this weekend. I now have a shop I normally use for my offroad toys so I hope to save money this time.

I have searched and read a lot of post on this. There seems to be no concensus on the cause of these problems. This is my working list:

Sway Bar End links

Sway bar Bushing

Struts

Rack and Pinion

I am not sure of the best place to start on this. I hate to just through money at it and replace every thing.

I am grateful for any constructive advice on this.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bambam72 said:
Does the steering wheel have play in it when you move it left and right?
If so it's your rack & pinion or the bushing.

yes. I am hoping it the bushings. The car holds a straight line just fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Inner tie rod bushings are a common item to replace on these cars. I have to do the ones on my '98 which are REALLY bad. I kid you not, each tie rod has about 1/4" of play. Its most noticeable when you switch lanes to pass someone, the crown of the road drags you over and you really have to compensate with the wheel.

Sway bar end link bushings like to go, too. That will cause a clunk noise when driving over uneven surfaces. I've had a couple LH cars with this problem now.

I'm about to find out how difficult each of the jobs are

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I know what I am doing this weekend. THis is my Advance Auto shopping list:

Your shopping cart

Del Description Price Qty Total

Part No.
HB1817 TRW FRONT END SWAYBAR BUSHING $8.44
$16.88

Part No.
18254 TRW FRONT END SWAY BAR LINK $39.48
$78.96

Part No.
K7423 Moog Chassis Prod. Bushings $8.59
$17.18

Part No.
18196 TRW FRONT END SWAY BAR LNK KT $3.77
$7.54

Subtotal: $120.56

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, the Sway Bar Bushing fixed the issue. The new ones are much better made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts