DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I am driving fast and then apply brakes, my steering wheel shakes/vibrates. What might be the cause??

Could it be warped rotors. I had machined rotors and had new brake pads installed a year ago.

Physically looking at the rotors - they look goood
Still lot of pad left on the brake pad.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,363 Posts
Sounds like a classic case of rotors starting to get warped. The pads pull back slightly from the rotors when the brakes aren't applied. Unless there's something wrong where the pads aren't retracting. The wheels track nice and straight and when the brakes are applied then the vibration starts due to the pads contacting the warped rotors. If it's been a year since you've replaced the rotors I'd say you got pretty good wear out of them.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
same thing is going on with me now you would be cruising the highway and then tap the breaks and it starts to vibrate well if its bad enough you can feal them through the break pedal also
so yes its the rotors.
i have to replace my fronts also

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking of those slotted and cross drilled ones from ebay. All 4. Anyone tried those yet??

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
i heard from a auto tech that the cross drilled eaisly warp more go with the cross groove rotors if you would like not the cross drilled

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
IDK, my x-drilled and slotted iRotors are fine?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Mine's doing the same thing. Make sure you get some good rotors next time as I am. Something like Bendix or rotors made in Canada. Those "made in China" ones blow. They are made of cheap steel and warp alot sooner.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Kumar,

Yup it's def. warped rotors. I was having the same problems about a week ago. Got a new pair put on at dad's job and no problems at all.

Dave :evilking:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Intrepids are front heavy with a 65/35 front/rear balance according to Allpar. One reason why rotors warp and another reason we get such good traction in the snow. You might want to check your rear rotors also. make sure the automatic adjusters are working properly too.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yep, warped rotors... I've had mine machined a couple of times now. I was told that if they do it once, it'll come back, and it has. Better off to replace them.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cobra65 said:
Intrepids are front heavy with a 65/35 front/rear balance according to Allpar. One reason why rotors warp and another reason we get such good traction in the snow. You might want to check your rear rotors also. make sure the automatic adjusters are working properly too.
What is automatic adjusters??

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
on drum rear cars adjusters keep the shoes close to the drum, keeping the pedal feeling solid. I dont think rear disc's have adjusters, but i have been incorrect before.

·
Woober Goobers!
50,363 Posts
Go with just slotted and not drilled and/or drilled. The cross drilled holes take away material and make them even more prone to warping. The slotted only discs minimize that and provide the same benefits. Also remember that if you buy cross drilled and/or slotted rotors they nwon't be able to be turned. Once they warp they're toast and need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Ronbo said:
Go with just slotted and not drilled and/or drilled. The cross drilled holes take away material and make them even more prone to warping. The slotted only discs minimize that and provide the same benefits. Also remember that if you buy cross drilled and/or slotted rotors they nwon't be able to be turned. Once they warp they're toast and need to be replaced.
thats what i ment to say

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
according to their site its $259 for the rotors.
$25 to zinc coat the front pair and another $25 for the rear.

Also I am not sure whether it includes shipping

Is there like a club discount code or something??

·
Registered
161 Posts
Well Mine has the same problems but I have been told its the tie rods and NOT the rotors. I just ordered the tie rods but by reading this thread now Im confused...

·
Registered
851 Posts
it the steeering wheel is vibrating shaking without the brakes being applies, i would say that is more indicative of a tie rod or bushing issue. or perhaps even one of your wheels is not balanced properly. if steering wheel and brake pedal pulsate when you brake- its your rotors. of course in intrepids that are a couple years old it could be both happening...

i myself have a SLIGHT vibration/ shimmy in my steering wheel at speeds from like 50-70 and then its gone. im thinking its worn bushings creating a little slack or play in the steering, or that one of the wheels isnt perfectly balanced..then ive thought that maybe that worn wheel bearing could cause this shimmy

whats a good test for wheel bearings on these things?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts